A Budget-Friendly Slow Cooker Meal
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Potatoes and Carrots is such an easy satisfying traditional meal. It is both budget-friendly and low effort so a great fit for almost any family. The chicken thighs are an inexpensive cut and the slow cooker is set it and forget it, until dinner time anyway.
This is one of our favorite slow cooker meals, and it will be yours too.
Hamilton Beach 33461 Stay or Go 6-Quart Portable Slow CookerReynolds Slow Cooker Liners (4 Count)Silicone Slow Cooker Liners By Mrs. V’s Kitchen Reusable 100% Food Grade Silicone Fast And Easy Cleanup Without Having To Scrub Or Clean Actual Slow Cooker Crock Pot
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Potatoes and Carrots
Here is a quick visual walk through showing you how to prepare the slow cooker chicken thighs with potatoes and carrots. The full recipe is below.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy slow cooker dinner:
- Chicken thighs, bone-in
- Red potatoes
- Baby carrots
- Minced garlic
- Thyme leaves
- Chicken broth
1. Brown the chicken in a frying pan
The first step is to brown the chicken thighs in a frying pan. This step adds so much flavor, so don’t skip it.
2. Layer the Potatoes and Carrots in the Slow Cooker
Next, layer the potatoes and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker and then top with seasonings.
3. Put the Chicken on Top
Next, arrange the browned chicken thighs on top of the potatoes and carrots.
4. Add the Broth
Add broth to the slow cooker, then simmer on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
5. Thicken the Sauce
Thicken sauce with cornstarch before serving. I would suggest adding a simple green salad to balance out the meal and enjoy.
If you like this recipe, be sure to also try our Slow Cooker Meatloaf Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots.
- 3-4 lb Chicken Thighs , bone-in
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 lb Red Potatoes quartered
- 1 lb Baby Carrots
- 1 large Onion roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Thyme Leaves
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 cup Chicken Broth
- 3 tsp Cornstarch
- 3 tsp Water
- Season chicken thighs on all sides with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place oil in skillet over med-high heat and brown the thighs on each side.
- Layer potatoes, carrots and onions in slow cooker. Then scatter the garlic and thyme over vegetables.
- Lay the chicken thighs on top.
- Add the broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.
- Thighs will be nearly fall apart tender.
- Whisk together cornstarch & water. Add to slow cooker and simmer a few minutes to thicken sauce before serving.
More Incredible Slow Cooker Meals
Save even more time in the kitchen. Try one of these slow cooker chicken meals next.
- Chicken Bolognese: Slow Cooker Chicken Pasta Sauce Recipe
- Whole 30 Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Spinach
- Garlic Lime Chicken – Crock Pot Chicken Thighs Recipe