Texas Kolache aka Klobasnek are sausage rolls wrapped in a sweet Czech pastry dough. Here I have a recipe for you that can be prepared in either the oven or an air fryer.
Texas Sausage Kolaches are a fun grab and go breakfast food, that's perfect for road trips and picnicking. Kids love these sweet and savory breakfast sausage rolls, that are somewhat similar to pigs-in-a-blanket.
Texas Kolaches Origin
Central Texas is home to a thriving Czech population (aka Czexans). When they started arriving to the mid 1800's they brought their Czech heritage and cuisine with them and Czech bakeries started popping up everywhere. [ref]
Soon they started wrapping breakfast sausages in Czech pastry and Texas Kolache were born. Traditional kolaches are desserts, typically with fruit filling, but this sweet and savory kolache has become a staple of the lone star state and Texans call it a kolache.
Now these sausage kolaches can be found at pretty much any donut shop in the region.
How to Make Texas Kolaches
The recipe makes 12 Texas sausage kolaches.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Dough Rise: 2 hours|Cook time: 6 minutes per batch in air fryer OR 15-18 minutes in oven
Supplies: Air fryer, 2 bowls, rolling pin, stand mixer is also recommended (though dough can be mixed by hand if necessary)
Here is what you need to make the Texas Kolache.
- 2 ½ cups of flour, all-purpose
- ⅔ cup of milk
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of active dry yeast
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter, unsalted
- 2 eggs
- 12 pork breakfast sausage links
- 2 egg yolks, beaten (optional for egg wash)
Now let's get to making the sausage kolach!
Place warm milk, sugar and yeast into a mixing bowl. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes to foam up.
Add the melted butter, 2 eggs and half the all purpose flour. Mix with a dough hook until well combined. Once combined. Add the remaining flour.
Once yeast dough has formed a ball, place dough ball in a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place it in a warm spot and let rise for about 2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
Drop sausage links into a hot skillet and brown them off until fully cooked
Put the dough ball on a floured surface and divide into 12 equal parts.
Roll out each section into a rectangle and roll each sausage link with a piece of dough.
Let rolled kolaches rise for 10 more minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, while the rolled sausage kolache are rising.
Coat the tops of the kolache with egg wash.
Place the baking sheet of sausage rolls in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
In Air Fryer
If you are making the sausage rolls in the air fryer you will need to split them in 2-3 batches to fit in your frying basket, depending on size of your air fryer.
Place kolaches in oiled air fryer basket seam side down, coat with egg wash and cook on 400° for 6 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove and let cool.
Variations on Sausage Kolaches
This is the basic recipe for these meat filled rolls, you can also make sausage and cheese kolache. Add in some pickled jalapeno for a kick, or top with sesame or poppy seed when applying the egg wash for some crunch.
Storing Texas Kolache
If you manage to have any left, these savory sausage kolache are great reheated.
Once the sausage rolls have cooled to room temperature, they can be stored in the refrigerator. They will last 3-4 days in an airtight container.
If you want to save these for the long laul. wrap them well and freeze. They can be reheated in the microwave or oven.
While the two are somewhat similar kolache are made with a sweet pastry dough, whereas a pig-in-blanket is wrapped in a more savory dough, often a crescent dough.
Texas Kolache Recipe
- 2 ½ cups flour all-purpose is fine
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 12 breakfast sausage links
- 2 egg yolks beaten (optional for egg wash)
- Place warm milk, sugar and yeast into a mixing bowl. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes to foam up.
- Add the melted butter, 2 eggs and half the flour. Mix with a dough hook until we’ll combined. Once combined. Add the remaining flour.
- Once dough has formed a ball, place dough ball in a well greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours until it doubles in size.
- Place sausage links into a skillet and brown, until fully cooked.
- Place the dough ball on a floured surface and divide into 12 equal parts.
- Roll out each section into a rectangle and roll each sausage link with a piece of dough.
- Let rolled kolaches rise for 10 more minutes.
- Beat the remaining egg to make an egg wash.
- Place kolaches in oiled air fryer basket, coat with egg wash and cook on 400° for 6 minutes or until golden brown. (Divide the rolls into 2 or 3 batches to cook properly)
- Remove and place on cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, while the rolled sausage kolache are rising.
- Baste the tops of the kolache with egg wash.
- Place the baking sheet of rolls in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.