This Cheesy Chicken Sausage Skillet with Italian veggies and rice is ready in just 20 minutes! It’s a hearty balanced family dinner featuring sausage from our sponsor Al Fresco. This is a meal can feel proud to serve your family.
Chicken Sausage Skillet
Busy families don’t have time for fussy meals, but we still want nutritious and filling dinners. This chicken sausage skillet recipe not only fills those needs, it’s delicious as well.
Al Fresco Chicken Sausage, fresh veggies, fire roasted tomatoes, instant rice and cheese make a balanced dinner possible in meager minutes. About 5 minutes of prep work and 15 minutes cooking time.
Al Fresco Chicken Sausages
Al Fresco Natural Chicken Sausage is so much easier to prep than raw chicken and as it is already fully cooked. No more cutting boards covered in chicken slime… ick.
The sausages are all natural, antibiotic-free and gluten-free. They come is a large array of flavors to fit in all kinds of dishes.
Here are a few recipes I’ve made with them already:
- Mediterranean Sausage Pasta
- Sausage and Pepper Soup (low carb)
- Low Carb Chicken Sausage Risotto
- Mexican Sausage and Corn Salad
How to Make the Sausage Skillet
The recipe is quick and easy to make. I’m going to walk you right through the preparation right here with pictures. Full printable recipe card can be found below.
Here are all the ingredients you will need to create the dish. Make sure you use a big skillet. This makes 6 hearty servings.
First make sure you have your sausage and vegetables chopped when you start.
Then place the large skillet over medium high heat and pour in the olive oil. As soon as it is hot toss in the sausages and bell peppers. Saute for 3 minutes.
I used yellow, orange and red peppers for lots of color. Feel free to just use red bell pepper if you prefer.
Now add the zucchini squash, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Mix and saute for another 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms stir and cook for about a minute to coat and soften. By this point the vegetables should be cooked, yet still somewhat crisp and the sausage is lightly browned.
Dump in the instant rice, can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and chicken broth.
Mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Now mix it about 2/3rds of the shredded cheddar cheese. Then sprinkle the rest over the top of the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes. Liquid should be absorbed and cheese melted at this point.
Remove the skillet from burner and allow the food to cool for a minute or two before serving.
While you are in the mood for sausage, these recipes could easily be made with the product as well; Kielbasa and Potato skillet, Keto Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs on-a-stick or Andouille Sausage Pasta Recipe with White Beans and Delicata Squash.
- 1 package Al Fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sweet bell peppers , chopped (2-3 peppers)
- 2 cups zucchini summer squash , sliced and halved (1-2 zucchini)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups mushrooms , sliced
- 2 cups instant rice , white or brown
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (14-15 ounce can)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- Pour oil in skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add the sliced sausages and peppers. Cook while stirring for three minutes.
- Add the zucchini slices along with the minced garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook for three minutes while stirring regularly.
- Mix in the mushrooms, until fully coated.
- Add the rice, canned tomatoes and broth. Stir well and reduce heat to medium as soon as it starts to bubble. Cover and cook for five minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir in about a coup of the cheese, then sprinkle the rest on top. Cook uncovered for approximately 4 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and cheese is all melted.
- Remove from burner. Allow to cool slightly and serve.