This Cheesy Italian Chicken Sausage recipe with Italian veggies and rice is ready in just 20 minutes! It's a hearty balanced family dinner skillet featuring sausage from our sponsor Al Fresco. This Italian chicken sausage recipe makes an easy meal, you can feel proud to serve and your whole family will love.
The flavorful chicken sausage dinner is packed with lean protein and plenty of Italian vegetables for a nutritious dinner choice. While I used regular instant rice in the recipe, you can easily swap in the brown rice version if you prefer.
Italian Chicken Sausage Recipe: Easy Skillet Meal
Busy families don't have time for fussy meals, but we still want nutritious and filling dinners. This Italian chicken sausage skillet recipe not only fills those needs, it's delicious as well.
Al Fresco Chicken Sausage, fresh veggies, fire roasted tomatoes, instant rice and cheese make a balanced dinner possible in meager minutes. About 5 minutes of prep work and 15 minutes cooking time.
Al Fresco Chicken Sausages
The Italian Chicken Sausages are fully cooked and so much easier to prep than raw chicken. No more cutting boards covered in chicken slime... ick.
These sausages are all natural, antibiotic-free and gluten-free. They come is a large array of flavors to fit in all kinds of dishes.
Here are a few recipes I've made with them already:
- Prefer your chicken sausage with pasta? Try my delicious Mediterranean Sausage Pasta recipe with spinach, tomatoes, olives, lemon, garlic and oregano.
- For those in the mood for soup, Sausage and Pepper Soup is a light and low carb recipe option.
- Want to indulge without guilt, my hearty Low Carb Chicken Sausage Risotto will fit the bill. The recipe features cauliflower rice and a creamy sauce.
- Mexican Sausage and Corn Salad is a filling salad recipe with chicken sausage, sweet corn and crumbled Cotija cheese over greens.
How to Make the Sausage Skillet
The chicken sausage recipe is quick and easy to make. I'm going to walk you right through the preparation of the dish right here with pictures. Full printable recipe card can be found below.
Here are all the ingredients you will need to create the dish. Make sure you use a big skillet. This makes 6 hearty servings.
First make sure you have your chicken sausage and vegetables chopped when you start.
Then place the large skillet over medium high heat and pour in the olive oil. As soon as it is hot add sausage and bell peppers. Saute for 3 minutes.
I used yellow, orange and red peppers for lots of color. Feel free to just use red bell pepper if you prefer.
Now add the zucchini squash, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Mix and saute for another 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms stir and cook for about a minute to coat and soften. By this point the vegetables should be cooked, yet still somewhat crisp and the sausage is lightly browned.
Dump in the instant rice, can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and chicken broth to the cooked sausage mixture.
Mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Now mix it about ⅔rds of the shredded cheddar cheese. Then sprinkle the rest over the top of the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes. Liquid should be absorbed and cheese melted at this point.
Remove the skillet from burner and allow the food to cool for a minute or two before serving.
To serve, top with grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh herbs and some crushed red pepper flakes if you like spicy.
Variations on The Recipe
While I enjoy preparing Italian chicken sausages as shown, I like to mix it up at times based off mood or what is available in the fridge and pantry. Here are a few easy swaps or additions you may like.
- Use hot Italian sausage, rather than sweet if you are craving a spicy dish.
- Swap some of the vegetables in the recipe. Broccoli florets or chopped sweet onions are some of my favorites.
- Try a cup of pasta sauce in place of the canned diced tomatoes.
What sides to serve with the one-pot dinner?
While side dishes are not really necessary with this recipe, I do have some beverage and dessert choices that would pair well with the meal. To drink I suggest Peach Iced Tea or Pineapple Lemonade. For dessert, simple banana oatmeal cookies or strawberry pie would be a great way to finish dinner.
Yes, but you will need to be mindful of draining the excess grease from the sausages. They have a higher fat content than chicken sausages.
More Sausage Recipes
While you are in the mood for sausage, these recipes could easily be made with the product as well; Kielbasa and Potato skillet, Keto Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs on-a-stick, Cajun Pasta or Andouille Sausage Pasta Recipe with White Beans and Delicata Squash.
Chicken Sausage Skillet Recipe
- 1 package sweet Italian Chicken sausages I used Al Fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausages (11oz.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sweet bell peppers , chopped (2-3 peppers)
- 2 cups zucchini summer squash , sliced and halved (1-2 zucchini)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups mushrooms , sliced
- 2 cups instant rice , white or brown
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (14-15 ounce can)
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- Pour oil in skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add the sliced sausages and peppers. Cook while stirring for three minutes.
- Add the zucchini slices along with the minced garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook for three minutes while stirring regularly.
- Mix in the mushrooms, until fully coated.
- Add the rice, canned tomatoes and broth. Stir well and reduce heat to medium as soon as it starts to bubble. Cover and cook for five minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir in about a coup of the cheese, then sprinkle the rest on top. Cook uncovered for approximately 4 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and cheese is all melted.
- Remove from burner. Allow to cool slightly and serve.
Leave a Reply