This vegan pizza recipe features roasted vegetables and herbs over a cashew-white bean sauce. It’s a great Meatless Monday choice, especially during football season, when fun and filling foods are what your family craves. It packs a nutritional punch too.
More of us are starting to see the benefits of a plant-based diet not just for our health, but also for the planet. The good thing is it isn’t an all or nothing change. Personally, I am not vegan, nor even vegetarian. I guess I would called myself a low meat consumer, and people like myself are becoming more and more common. The popularity of Meatless Monday is a reflection on that.
Now, what happens when Meatless Monday also happens to be Monday Night Football night? There is no reason to be stumped. Serve your family a Vegan Roasted Vegetable Pizza with Cashew-White Bean Sauce. This comfort food has no meat & no cheese, but loads of flavor. The cashew-white bean sauce adds protein and makes the pizza nice & hearty, so just a slice or two will satisfy. It also holds the pizza toppings on, much like cheese would. The roasted vegetable pizza topping locks in the moisture of the sauce, adds taste and nutritional variety. No one will miss the meat and cheese.
Making Roasted Vegetable Pizza
Here is a quick visual walk-through of preparing this meatless and dairy-free roasted veggie pizza. Full recipe below.
The squash, onions, and garlic are roasted with some fresh thyme first, then the mushrooms are roasted for just a few minutes. The roasted garlic cloves are then set aside to go into the sauce.
The sauce is prepared in a blender. Unsweetened Silk Cashew Milk, the roasted garlic, white beans, raw cashews, lemon & salt are quickly transformed into a rich pizza sauce.
The cashew-white bean sauce is spread onto stretched pizza dough.
The roasted vegetables are evenly spread on top along with drained fire roasted tomatoes. A sprinkle of oregano and a drizzle of olive oil make it ready to go into the preheated oven.
The roasted vegetable pizza can of course be served nice and hot, but my personal favorite is the cold pizza leftovers!
- 1 pound pizza dough
- dry oregano
- 2 small zucchini squash sliced on angle
- 1 yellow summer squash sliced on angle
- 1 large sweet onion halved, peeled, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- leaves from 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 2/3 tbs olive oil 1 tbs + 1 tsp +1 tsp
- 4-6 white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes drained in colander
- 1/2 cup Silk Cashew milk
- 15 oz can of white beans drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- + the garlic cloves from above after roasting
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss the sliced zucchini, yellow summer squash, onion, thyme, and peeled garlic cloves in a large bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil, then spread out on a baking sheet. Roast for approximately 12 minutes. Toss the mushrooms in the bowl with an additional tsp of olive oil and add to roasting pan with other vegetables. Roast 3-5 minutes more, until mushrooms are somewhat cooked but not fully & edges of squash are starting to brown.
- Remove the garlic cloves and place in blender.
- Pour cashew milk in blender, and add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Pulse until smooth to make sauce.
- Stretch the pizza dough, and spread the sauce over it smoothly.
- Top with the roasted vegetables and drained fire roasted tomatoes. Sprinkle with dry oregano and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes until crust is crisp.
*nutritional data is estimated.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.