Make a Blue Lagoon cocktail! It's an easy blue drink featuring vodka, blue curaçao and lemonade. The lovely blue color of the cocktail looks fun and exotic, but it is one of the easiest blue mixed drinks to make.
What could be better than Blue Lagoon (cocktail) as far as blue drink names go? It is one of those cocktail recipes, you just have to know how to make as soon as you hear it. This light blue alcoholic drink is the perfect alcoholic summer beverage to enjoy sipping poolside.
Blue Lagoon Cocktail
If you want to make a refreshing cocktail that is simple to make but looks exciting, the popular Blue Lagoon drink (aka Laguna Azul) is just the thing. It is a simple 3 ingredient tropical drink, served in a highball glass or variant such as the tulip glass I used here, with cubes or crushed ice.
The blue lagoon cocktail first gained popularity back in the 70's not long after blue curacao (a blue colored liquor that tastes like triple sec) was introduced during the 1960's. This makes it a great drink choice for retro parties, not just summer parties and beach getaways. Why not serve it along with Tequila Sunrise Punch for a full on 70' retro feel.
Blue Curacao Liquor
As mentioned above this blue alcohol was first produced in the 1960s, originating from it's orange sibling.
Curacao is a Caribbean liqueur flavored by the dried peel of the Laraha citrus fruit. [ref] The spirit has an orange-like flavor with a slight tartness.
Blue curaçao is a blue colored liquor that is a little less potent and slightly sweeter than regular dry curacao. It tastes like and can be swapped for like triple sec.
How to Make a Blue Lagoon Cocktail
Here is a simple visual guide to making this delicious cocktail. Printable recipe card below.
The ingredients for this blue cocktail are: vodka, blue curacao and lemonade (use store bought or make your own ... squeeze some fresh lemon juice, dilute and sweeten).
You will need one ounce of vodka.
... and one ounce of blue curaçao liqueur.
Start with a tulip, hurricane or highball glass with ice. Pour the liquors over the fresh ice cubes (or crushed ice) then top off with approximately six ounces lemonade. I find the drink blends readily, but a few shakes in a cocktail shaker with ice will make for a more exciting presentation.
Garnish with lemon or maraschino cherry .
Setting Up the Bar
It is always good to come up with a few cocktails for a party that share some similar ingredients and garnish to make stocking easier.
Frozen Blue Lagoon
The blue lagoon blended with crushed ice creates a frosty version of the blue alcoholic drink.
If you want some bubbles to this tasty citrus flavor drink, add a splash of lemon-lime soda to the mixed drink. The blue lagoon fizz chilis cocktail uses this along with pineapple juice for a fizzy tropical drink.
Variations of the blue lagoon cocktail:
- I've seen several versions of this blue lagoon (cocktail) with less curacao, so you may like to adjust that ingredient down if you prefer. Keep in mind, the iconic blue color will be more pale if you chose to do this.
- The drink is sometimes tossed in a blender for a frozen Blue Lagoon cocktail. This blended version is a perfect drink choice on really hot days.
- It can be served straight up, strained into a large chilled martini glass rather than a tall glass. This is not common.
- No blue curacao? Swap it in the recipe with triple sec and a few drops of blue food coloring.
Easy Vodka Drinks
While we love blue fruity alcoholic drinks, here are a few other easy and refreshing cocktails you may also like.
- The Bay Breeze Drink is a classic pineapple cranberry vodka cocktail that is easy to prepare.
- Looking for something simple light and great for a hot day? The Salty Dog Drink featuring grapefruit juice, vodka (or gin) and a salted rim may be just what you are looking for.
- The Cape Codder Cocktail is a New England classic that is super easy to make.
- Feeling peachy? Try a Woo Woo drink.
Blue Lagoon Recipe
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 oz blue curacao
- 6 oz lemonade
- lemon slice or wedge for garnish or maraschino cherry or orange are other common garnishes
- Pour the liquors over fresh ice cubes directly in glass or in cocktail shaker.
- Top off glass with lemonade OR add 5-6 ounces of lemonade to shaker, shake and strain over ice.
- Serve with straw and garnish of lemon or cherry.