Make a Blue Lagoon cocktail! It’s an easy blue drink featuring vodka, blue curaçao and lemonade. The lovely blue color of the cocktail looks fun and exotic, but it really is very simple drink. It is one of those cocktail recipes, you just have to know how to make. What could be better to enjoy poolside?
Blue Lagoon Cocktail
If you want to make a refreshing cocktail that is simple to make but looks exciting, the popular Blue Lagoon drink (aka Laguna Azul) is just the thing. It is a simple 3 ingredient tropical drink, served in a highball glass or variant such as the tulip glass I used here, with cubes or crushed ice.
The blue lagoon cocktail first gained popularity back in the 70’s not long after blue curacao was introduced during the 1960’s. This makes it a great drink choice for retro parties, not just summer parties and beach getaways. Why not serve it along with Tequila Sunrise Punch for a full on 70′ retro feel.
How to Make a Blue Lagoon Cocktail
Here is a simple visual guide to making this delicious cocktail. Printable recipe card below.
The ingredients for this blue cocktail are: vodka, blue curacao and lemonade (use store bought or make your own … squeeze some fresh lemon juice, dilute and sweeten).
You will need one ounce of vodka.
… and one ounce of blue curaçao.
Start with a tulip or highball glass with ice. Pour the liquors over the fresh ice then top off with approximately six ounces lemonade. I find the drink blends readily, but a few shakes in a cocktail shaker with ice will make for a more exciting presentation.
Garnish with lemon or maraschino cherry .
Setting Up the Bar
It is always good to come up with a few cocktails for a party that share some similar ingredients and garnish to make stocking easier.
Easy Vodka Drinks
Blue Curacao Drinks
Variations of the blue lagoon cocktail:
- I’ve seen several versions of this cocktail with less curacao, so you may like to adjust that ingredient down if you prefer. Keep in mind, the iconic blue color will be more pale if you chose to do this.
- The drink is sometimes tossed in a blender for a frozen Blue Lagoon cocktail.
- It can be served straight up, strained into a large martini glass. This is not common.
Blue Lagoon Recipe
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 oz blue curacao
- 6 oz lemonade
- lemon slice or wedge for garnish or maraschino cherry or orange are other common garnishes
- Pour the liquors over fresh ice directly in glass or in cocktail shaker.
- Top off glass with lemonade OR add 5-6 ounces of lemonade to shaker, shake and strain over ice.
- Serve with straw and garnish of lemon or cherry.