The Blue Lagoon cocktail is and easy blue drink featuring vodka, blue curaçao and lemonade. The lovely blue color of the cocktail looks fun and exotic, but it really is very simple drink to make at home. What could be better to enjoy poolside?
Blue Lagoon Cocktail
If you want to make a refreshing cocktail that is simple to make but looks exciting, the popular Blue Lagoon drink (aka Laguna Azul) is just the thing. It is a simple 3 ingredient tropical drink, served in a highball glass or variant such as the tulip glass I used here.
The cocktail first gained popularity back in the 70’s not long after blue curacao was introduced during the 1960’s. This makes it a great drink choice for retro parties, not just summer parties and beach getaways. Why not serve it along with Tequila Sunrise Punch for a full on 70′ retro feel.
How to Make a Blue Lagoon drink
Here is a simple visual guide to making the cocktail. Printable recipe card below.
The ingredients for this blue cocktail are: vodka, blue curacao and lemonade (use store bought or make your own … squeeze some fresh lemon juice, dilute and sweeten).
You will need one ounce of vodka.
… and one ounce of blue curacao.
Pour the liquors over fresh ice in a tall glass then top off with lemonade. I find the drink blends readily, but a few shakes in a cocktail shaker will make for a more exciting presentation.
Garnish with lemon.
Setting Up the Bar
It is always good to come up with a few cocktails for a party that share some similar ingredients to make stocking easier.
Easy Vodka Drinks
Blue Curacao Drinks
- Shark Bite Drink
- Blue Hawaii drink
Variations of the drink:
- I’ve seen several versions of this cocktail with less curacao, so you may like to adjust that ingredient down if you prefer. Keep in mind, the iconic blue color will be more pale if you chose to do this.
- The drink is sometimes tossed in a blender for a frozen Blue Lagoon cocktail.
- It can be served straight up, strained into a large martini glass. This is not common.
Blue Lagoon Recipe
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 oz blue curacao
- 6 oz lemonade
- lemon slice or wedge for garnish
- Pour the liquors over fresh ice directly in glass or in cocktail shaker.
- Top off glass with lemonade OR add 5-6 ounces of lemonade to shaker, shake and strain over ice.
- Serve with straw and garnish of lemon. Orange is another common garnish alternative.