This easy Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe is one of the simplest blueberry desserts you will ever make. The super easy recipe has just 3 ingredients and prep takes about 3 minutes. It is a fantastic alternative to making a blueberry pie. The dump cakes are more like upside down pies to me than cakes, despite being made with boxed cake mix.
Easy Blueberry Dump Cake - The 3 Ingredient Wonder!
Unless you tell them, no one will expect this delicious stand in for blueberry pie only took you three minutes work and three ingredients.
All you need to make this blueberry cobbler dump cake is:
- a can of blueberry pie filling
- box of cake mix (yellow, lemon or vanilla)
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
... a casserole dish that is about 8x11 and some cooking spray to coat it with. That's it.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
As promised, here is the quick visual guide toe making this easy blueberry dessert. Full printable recipe card is right below this.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F (175 c). Use non stick cooking spray to coat the inside of your baking dish (2 quart size, 8 x 11 inch baking pan).
Scoop blueberry pie filling into the dish and spread it out. Make sure blueberries are well distributed.
Next, dump a box of yellow cake mix on top and spread that over the blueberry layer.
Melt your butter and slowly drizzle it over the dry cake mix surface. Cover as well as you can and try to avoid large pools of it.
Now pop it in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. After about 15 minutes peek in and if a section is dry, drag a little pooled butter over it.
When the top is lightly golden brown like this your dump cake is ready to take out of the oven. The butter has seeped in and cooked the cake mix into a delicious pie crust like topping.
Serve the freshly baked blueberry dump cake warm with scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.
Cake Mix Options
Try using vanilla cake mix or for a brighter note a lemon cake mix to make this cobbler style dessert.
Can I use Fresh or Frozen Blueberries?
Yes fresh blueberries or even frozen blueberries can be used. Simply mix 4 cups of berries with a ¼ cup of sugar and cover the bottom of your casserole dish, just as you would with the filling.
Dump Cake Recipes
Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe
- 8x11 baking dish
- 21 oz blueberry pie filling , one can
- 1 box yellow cake mix , about 15 oz (lemon or vanilla are also good choices)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks of butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat inside of baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Dump a can of blueberry pie filling into the dish and spread out to cover the bottom.
- Pour dry cake mix over the pie filling. Cover evenly.
- Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until top starts to lightly brown. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or generous dollop of whipped cream.
Fresh or Frozen BlueberriesYes fresh blueberries or even frozen blueberries can be used. Simply mix 4 cups of berries with a ¼ cup of sugar and cover the bottom of your casserole dish, just as you would with the filling.