This Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe is one of the simplest blueberry desserts you will ever make. The super easy recipe has just 3 ingredients and prep takes about 3 minutes. It is a fantastic alternative to making a blueberry pie. The dump cakes are more like upside down pies to me than cakes, despite being made with boxed cake mix.
Blueberry Dump Cake – The 3 Ingredient Wonder!
Unless you tell them, no one will expect this delicious stand in for blueberry pie only took you three minutes work and three ingredients.
All you need is:
- a can of blueberry pie filling
- box of yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter
… and a baking dish and some cooking spray to coat it with. That’s it.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
As promised, here is the quick visual guide toe making this easy blueberry dessert. Full printable recipe card is right below this.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Use non stick cooking spray to coat the inside of your baking dish (2 quart size, 8 x 11 inch baking pan).
Scoop blueberry pie filling into the dish and spread it out. Make sure blueberries are well distributed.
Next, dump a box of yellow cake mix on top and spread that over the blueberry layer.
Melt your butter and slowly drizzle it over the dry cake mix surface. Cover as well as you can and try to avoid large pools of it.
Now pop it in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. After about 15 minutes peek in and if a section is dry, drag a little pooled butter over it.
When the top is lightly browned like this your dump cake is ready to take out of the oven. The butter has seeped in and cooked the cake mix into a delicious pie crust like topping.
Serve the blueberry dump cake warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.
Dump Cake Recipes
- 8x11 baking dish
- 21 oz blueberry pie filling , one can
- 1 box yellow cake mix , about 15 oz
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks of butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat inside of baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Dump a can of blueberry pie filling into the dish and spread out to cover the bottom.
- Pour dry cake mix over the pie filling. Cover evenly.
- Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until top starts to lightly brown. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.