This delicious Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe is one of the simplest blueberry desserts you will ever make. The super easy recipe has just 3 ingredients and prep takes about 3 minutes. It is a fantastic alternative to making a blueberry pie. The dump cakes are more like upside down pies to me than cakes, despite being made with boxed cake mix.
While I have a lot of recipes for dump cakes with fruit pie filling, the blueberry version is a favorite of mine. I think it reminds me of the desserts my mom made after we went blueberry picking. A dump cake always satisfies the sweet tooth.
Easy Blueberry Dump Cake - The 3 Ingredient Wonder!
Unless you tell them, no one will expect this delicious stand in for blueberry pie only took you three minutes work and three ingredients.
All you need to make this blueberry cobbler dump cake is:
- a can of blueberry pie filling (2 cans blueberry pie filling if you prefer more fruit)
- box of cake mix (yellow, lemon or vanilla)
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
... a casserole dish that is about 8x11 or 9x13 inch and some cooking spray to coat it with. That's it.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
As promised, here is the quick visual guide to making this easy blueberry dessert. Full printable recipe card is right below this.
The recipe makes 8 servings.
- sweet blueberry pie filling
- yellow cake mix
- unsalted butter
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F (175 c).
Use non stick cooking spray to coat the inside of your baking dish (2 quart size, 8 x 11 inch baking pan).
Scoop blueberry pie filling into the dish and spread it out. Make sure blueberries are well distributed.
Next, evenly sprinkle the cake mix on top over the blueberry layer.
Melt your butter and slowly drizzle it over the dry cake mix surface. Cover as well as you can and try to avoid dry spots or large pools of butter in the pan.
Alternative method: If you prefer cut cold butter into thin slices and evenly distribute the butter pats across the top of dry cake mixture instead of using melted butter.
Now pop it in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. After about 15 minutes peek in and if a section is dry, drag a little pooled butter over it.
When the top is lightly golden brown like this your dump cake is ready to take out of the oven. The butter has seeped in and cooked the cake mix into a delicious pie crust like topping.
Serve the freshly baked blueberry dump cake warm with a big scoop of ice cream (vanilla or flavor of choice) or whipped cream on top.
Mix it up a little with a few simple recipe alteration options.
Cake Mix Options
Try using vanilla cake mix or for a brighter note a lemon cake mix to make this cobbler style dessert.
Add crushed pineapple or fresh berries to the filling layer for a suped up blueberry dump cake.
Q & A
Yes fresh blueberries or even frozen blueberries can be used in this dump cake. Simply mix 4 cups of berries with a ¼ cup of sugar and cover the bottom of your casserole dish, just as you would with the filling.
Treat leftover blueberry dump cake just as you would a blueberry pie. It can be left out for up to two days. Make sure it is covered with plastic wrap once it has been cut.
If you will need to store it longer keep it in the refrigerator, preferably in an airtight container but covered in plastic wrap will do. It will be good there for 5 days if you put it away as soon as it is cooled.
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 8x11 baking dish
- 21 oz blueberry pie filling you can use 1-2 cans of blueberry filling
- 1 box yellow cake mix , about 15 oz (lemon or vanilla are also good choices)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks of butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat inside of baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Dump a can of blueberry pie filling into the dish and spread out to cover the bottom.
- Pour dry cake mix over the pie filling. Cover evenly.
- Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until top edges are golden brown. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or generous dollop of whipped cream.