This Caramel Apple Dump Cake may just be the perfect fall dessert. Dump cakes are quick and easy no fail desserts great when you are busy but want a fresh baked sweet to serve.
I would suggest this to anyone making a holiday dinner, but feeling leery of baking a pie. This caramel apple dump cake recipe is just 4 ingredients... easy peasy and I will walk you right through it. Just cake mix, apple pie filling, caramel sauce, and melted butter. You've got this!
Caramel Apple Dump Cake : Easy Fall Dessert
This is a classic "true" dump cake. The results are similar to a cobbler. You really do just dump the four ingredients in and bake to make this easy dessert recipe.
As long as you distribute the ingredients somewhat evenly, the recipe is basically fool proof. Even slightly over or under baked this caramel apple dump cake will still be tasty and soon to be a family favorite.
If you have extra box cake mixes on-hand try some cake mix cookies too.
I added a layer of caramel into this apple dump cake recipe, since I think it elevates the final dessert quite a bit. The caramel makes the cake team even better with ice cream in my opinion as well. Then just top the caramel apple dump cake with whipped cream or ice cream to serve.
How to Make Caramel Apple Dump Cake
Here is a visual guide to making the apple dump cake with caramel. Full printable recipe card can be found below.
Ingredients Needed to make the Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- box yellow cake mix (try another cake flavor like white cake mix or spice cake mix instead if you prefer)
- 1-2 cans apple pie filling (use 2 cans of apple pie filling if you want a thicker bottom, 1 if you are more of a crust fan)
- ½ jar of caramel topping
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- cooking spray
You will also need a casserole dish, preferable 8 x 11 inches.
Let's make the dessert now.
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep your baking dish with cooking spray.
Spread caramel sauce over the pie filling. Find it with the ice cream toppings at the grocer.
Dump the dry cake mix in and spread it around.
Drizzle butter on top of the cake mix layer. Try to evenly cover as much of the surface as you can, without being too fussy.
Bake for 40-50 minutes. Edges will be golden brown and if you test spots in the middle they will be like soft dough, not floury raw cake mix.
Cut the dump cake and serve while it is still warm. While the cake is also delicious at room temperature or even slightly chilled. It is best freshly baked.
Serving Caramel Apple Dump Cake
Serve warm. Top each slice of this caramel apple dessert with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and enjoy! Butter pecan or maple walnut are also yummy ice cream choices for this cobbler style dessert. A little more caramel drizzled on top is fun too.
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Dump Cake
You can also make this dessert in the crock pot.
Coat the interior of the crock pot with cooking spray then layer in the ingredients as in the recipe. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. (I recommend using 2 cans of apples for slow cooker)
Treat leftover apple dump cake much as you would an apple pie. It can be left out for up to two days. Make sure it is covered once it has been cut.
If you will need to store it longer keep it in the refrigerator. It will be good there for 5 days if you put it aways as soon as it is cooled.
I personally don't see the point of freezing something so easy to make, but if you wish to do so it will be good up top 3 months in the freezer.
Yes, any flavor of box cake mix will work. Just stick to mixes that will go well in a caramel apple dessert. (yellow, white, butter, spice or vanilla cake mix are all great choices)
Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe
- 21 oz can apple pie filling
- 6 oz caramel sauce ½ most jars
- 1 box yellow cake mix swap for spice cake mix if you prefer
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter 2 sticks of butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8 x 11 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dump the canned apples into the baking dish and spread out.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the apples, spread out with a spoon if there are clumps of caramel bits.
- Next, dump the dry cake mix over the layers of apple filling and caramel. Spread the mix out to cover the wet ingredients.
- Pour the melted butter over the cake mix layer, Distribute as evenly as you can, but don't fuss over it. The point of this recipe is it keep it super easy.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until golden brown at edges.
- Serve warm. Top the cake with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you like. Pretty much anything that would be good with apple pie works well with this dessert.
More Dump Cake Recipes
If you like this easy recipe for dump cake, you may enjoy these other dump cakes too. They are all a great way to end any family meal.