This Caramel Apple Dump Cake may just be the perfect fall dessert. Dump cakes are quick and easy no fail desserts great when you are busy but want a fresh baked sweet to serve.
I would suggest this to anyone making a holiday dinner, but feeling leery of baking a pie. This caramel apple dump cake recipe is just 4 ingredients… easy peasy and I will walk you right through it. Just cake mix, apple pie filling, caramel sauce, and melted butter. You’ve got this!
Caramel Apple Dump Cake : Easy Fall Dessert
This is a classic “true” dump cake. The results are similar to a cobbler. You really do just dump the four ingredients in and bake to make this easy dessert.
As long as you distribute the ingredients somewhat evenly, the recipe is basically fool proof. Even slightly over or under baked this caramel apple dump cake will still be tasty.
I added a layer of caramel into this apple dump cake recipe, since I think it elevates the final dessert quite a bit. The caramel makes the cake team even better with ice cream in my opinion as well. Then just top with whipped cream or ice cream to serve.
How to Make Caramel Apple Dump Cake
Here is a visual guide to making the apple dump cake with caramel. Full printable recipe card can be found below.
Ingredients Needed to make the Dump Cake
- box yellow cake mix or spice cake mix
- can of apple pie filling (use 2 cans if you want a thicker bottom)
- 1/2 jar of caramel topping
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- cooking spray
You will also need a baking dish, preferable 8 x 11 inches.
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep your baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Dump in apple pie filling and distribute across the bottom of dish. If you prefer, you can use your own Homemade Apple Pie Filling.
Bake for 40-50 minutes. Edges will be golden brown and if you test spots in the middle they will be like soft dough, not floury.
Serving Caramel Apple Dump Cake
Serve warm. Top each slice with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and enjoy! Butter pecan or maple walnut are also yummy ice cream choices for this cobbler style dessert. A little more caramel drizzled on top is fun too.
Does caramel apple dump cake need to be refrigerated?
Treat the cake much as you would a pie. It can be left out for up to two days. Make sure it is covers once it has been cut.
If you will need to store it longer keep it in the refrigerator. It will be good there for 5 days.
Can an apple dump cake be frozen?
I personally don’t see the point of freezing something so easy to make, but if you wish to do so it will be good up top 3 months in the freezer.
Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe
- 21 oz can apple pie filling
- 6 oz caramel sauce 1/2 most jars
- 1 box yellow cake mix swap for spice cake mix if you prefer
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter 2 sticks of butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8 x 11 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dump the canned apples into the baking dish and spread out.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the apples, spread out with a spoon if there are clumps of caramel bits.
- Next, dump the dry cake mix over the layers of apple and caramel. Spread the mix out to cover the wet ingredients.
- Pour the melted butter over the cake mix layer, Distribute as evenly as you can, but don't fuss over it. The point of this recipe is it keep it super easy.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm. Top the cake with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you like. Pretty much anything that would be good with apple pie works well with this dessert.
More Dump Cakes
If you like this dump cake recipe, you may enjoy these too.
- Pineapple Dump Cake
- Strawberry Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Peach Dump Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake with Fudge Layer
- Blueberry Dump Cake
- Cranberry Dump Cake