This Crockpot Cherry Dump Cake recipe takes just 3-ingredients. The dump cake is so easy to make and the delicious warm dessert is ready to serve right out of the slow cooker!
Making the cherry dump cake as a slow cooker dessert rather than baking in an oven is quite convenient. Not only does it require less attention while cooking, but the Crock Pot can keep the dump cake warm and ready to serve.
Using a slow cooker to "bake" your dump cakes also saves oven space during the holidays and keeps your home cooler in the summer.
How to Make Crockpot Dump Cake
Let's make this easy dessert together. Follow along here for step-by-step directions to make the Crock Pot cherry dump cake, complete with pictures or hop down to the printable recipe card for basic instructions.
The recipe makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cooking Time: 2 hours (low) or 4 hours (high)
Ingredients for Cherry Dump Cake in Slow Cooker
Here is everything you will need to make the crockpot dump cake.
- 2 cans of cherry pie filling (21 ounces each)
- 1 box yellow cake mix (15.25 ounces)
- ½ cup butter, cut into pats (1 stick)
Prepare the slow cooker by coating interior with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour the canned cherry pie filling into the slow cooker and spread out in an even layer at the bottom.
Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the cherry pie filling.
Over the cake mix, place the pats of butter. Do not mix.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. Edges of the dump cake will be golden brown and no powdery cake mix will be present.
Serve topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Variations on the Recipe
There are so many ways you can adjust this slow cooker dump cake recipe to your family's preferences. Here are just a few.
- Some like to swap one the the cans of cherry filling for a can of crushed pineapple.
- Make it with chocolate cake mix, for a slow cooker version of my Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake (fudge layer optional).
- Use a different canned pie filling, such as apple pie filling. Pretty much any fruit filling will work. Sliced canned fruit, such as peaches can also be used. See my Peach Dump cake.
- Some other box cake mixes you may like to try in the recipe include, butter cake, spice cake or white cake mix. All stand in well for the dry yellow cake mix in this Crock Pot Cherry Dump Cake.
- Make the dump cake diabetic friendly with low sugar pie filling and sugar free cake mix.
- If you prefer a ratio of more crust to filling, use just one can of cherry filling.
- Melted butter can be poured on top of the boxed cake mix rather than using sliced pats. Tip: reduce the saturated fat, by creating a 50/50 avocado oil (or other healthy oil choice) and butter mixture.
- Most pie fillings are thickened with cornstarch so they are gluten-free (check label). Swapping in a gluten-free cake mix can make the delicious dessert free of gluten.
Scoop the warm Crock Pot Cherry Dump Cake into bowls to serve. Try topping the slow cooker dessert with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream or a heaping mound of whipped cream. Some maraschino cherries or candied almonds would also be nice.
Keep the slow cooker on the warm setting until you are done serving.
Once the Crock Pot has been turned off, allow the dump cake to cool completely. Scoop leftovers into an airtight container and place in refrigerator.
If the slow cooker cherry dump cake is refrigerated promptly after cooling to room temperature, it should last 3-5 days in the fridge.
Dump Cake Recipes
Here are a few more amazing dump cake recipes that can be easily adapted to slow cooker recipes by referring to the directions above. Just use the Crock Pot rather than a baking dish.
- For more fruit filling options, try my Blueberry Dump Cake, Caramel Apple Dump Cake or Strawberry Dump Cake
- For easy Thanksgiving desserts, look to my Pumpkin Dump Cake, Sweet Potato Dump Cake, or Cranberry Dump Cake.
- For a fun twist on dump cakes make an Oreo Dump Cake or the not-quite-a-dump-cake Earthquake cake.
I hope your family enjoys this easy dessert recipe. Let me know how it goes and if you come up with any fun additions!
Crockpot Cherry Dump Cake
- crock pot or other slow cooker
- 2 cans cherry pie filling 21 ounces each
- 1 box yellow cake mix 15.25 ounce
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) , cut into pats (or melted butter)
- Coat the interior of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dump the cans of cherry pie filling into the bottom of the crock pot and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the pie filling.
- Arrange the butter pats over the cake mix layer. Do not mix.
- Place cover on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Serve warm as is, or top with ice cream or whipped cream.