This Chicken and Kale Salad was my lunch yesterday. Sweet onions and Kamut (an ancient strain of wheat, Yes, I have a preference in wheat berries, and this is it), round out the flavor and texture of the plate, while providing healthy complex carbohydrates. I already had Kamut precooked in my fridge, so this was a quick hot salad to toss together. I guess you could call it a stir fry it you prefer, but I don’t prefer 😉
I noshed this plate right down, the tangy dressing was light enough not to over power the primary ingredients, but present enough to add a delightful freshness to the dish. Well, that’s my not-so-humble opinion…lol.
The recipe below is for a single serving, just double or multiply as needed. It was a filling serving, so err toward a little less, if in doubt.
Chicken & Kale Salad with Sweet Onions and Kamut
- drizzle of olive oil or non-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped vidalia onion
- garlic clove crushed/minced
- 4 oz boneless chicken breast sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped curly kale
- 1/2 cup cooked Kamut if you can't find Kamut, substitute with wheat berries you can find
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sambal Oelek Ground Chili Paste
- 1/4 tsp Stevia 1/2 a packet
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Drizzle a small amount of oil in pan over med heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute until slightly soft, then add chicken & Kale.
- Saute until chicken is just shy of cooked.
- Add Kamut, and saute about 1 more minute.
- Add dressing stir to coat, then take of burner.
- Serve warm.