Recipe brought to you in collaboration with Sunshine Sweet Corn.
As soon as it is warm enough, my daughter (Little Foodie) and I start enjoying spending time in our back yard. She and I both love grilled foods, and the convenience of being able to do outdoor activities while cooking. Sweet Corn in particular is one of my favorite summer foods, but there is no need for me to wait until mid to late summer to enjoy this delicious treat. Sunshine Sweet Corn (from Florida, the Sunshine state of course) is available right now.
Little foodie helped me create a special Grilled Chicken and Sweet Corn Salad recently, that is perfect for Mother’s Day. After all, why do dads get all the great grilled foods on their day. I know I would certainly enjoy having this served to me al fresco, right in my own garden or packed as a family picnic, rather than a busy stuffy Mother’s Day brunch at a restaurant. The best part is kids can participate in the preparation.
My daughter was thrilled to help out. She not only enjoyed husking the sweet corn, but proved to be a better de-silker than I. Her autism gives her great attention to detail. She did so well, I gave her the additional job of wrapping the ears in foil, which she rocked as well.
I just grilled the corn along with marinated chicken breasts, then cut the kernels from the cob, in preparation for making the salad. Ergo Chef Pro-Series 7″ Santoku pictured (one of my fave knives)
- 5-6 fresh ears of Sunshine Sweet Corn
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large sweet red pepper cored and chopped
- 2 heads of green leaf lettuce washed
- Ranch Style Dressing Homemade Roasted Garlic Parmesan Ranch, or your family's favorite Ranch
- 1/4 cup Italian Dressing
- 1 tsp soy sauce I used low sodium
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Enlist the kids to husk the sweet corn, while you mix up the marinate and place the chicken in it.
- Wrap the sweet corn in foil. (I don't butter or oil it, but do so if you like)
- Preheat the grill to med-high (about 375-400 degrees).
- Grill the corn for 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the chicken to the grill. Turn the chicken after 5-6 minutes, then grill until cooked through & remove both chicken breast and sweet corn to a tray.
- Allow the corn to cool a few minutes, then cut the kernels off the cob. Slice the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
- Place leaf lettuce in bowls and top with chicken, sweet corn and sweet peppers.
- Serve with a creamy ranch dressing.
Check out the Sunshine Sweet Corn site for more delicious sweet corn recipes, as well as this fun tip filled video too!