This Shrimp Quinoa Bowl with kale salad and hummus dressing is a great healthy lunch choice, that also happens to be gluten free and full of protein and nutrients!
The shrimp and kale quinoa salad with hummus dressing only takes a few minutes to prepare and is easily adapted to meal prep plans.
In creating these quinoa bowls the focus was including lean proteins, whole seed grains, richly colored vegetables and healthy fats. Minimal preparation and staying gluten free were also kept in mind.
This Shrimp and Red Quinoa Kale Salad with Hummus Dressing recipe (gluten-free) is just one example of how easy it can be to make better for you eating choices.
This power salad is quick and easy to prepare. The shrimp and quinoa bowl makes a great lunch too!
The garlic lemon flavor of the olive oil marinade on the shrimp is flavorful and lightly spicy, making it a perfect pair for the creamy hummus dressing.
How to Make Shrimp and Quinoa Kale Salad with Hummus Dressing
Making these quinoa bowls from scratch is so easy. Simply quick marinate and sauté the garlic shrimp, mix a 3 ingredient salad dressing and assemble the bowls.
The recipe make 2 servings (but is easy to double up).
Prep Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 7-8 mins
Sauté the raw shrimp in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp until opaque and no translucency is left. If you prefer grilled shrimp, that is a delicious choice as well.
A quick three-ingredient hummus dressing is whisked together.
You could also try the Turmeric Lemon Dressing I serve with roasted vegetables and quinoa.
The kale salad and quinoa is arranged in the bowls then topped with hummus dressing and cooked shrimp. Garnish with sliced scallions, fresh parsley or fresh cilantro to serve.
Variations on the Recipe
Here are a few ingredient swaps or additions you may like, to help make this dish your own.
- If you are sensitive to quinoa or just want to save a few calories, swap it for sauteed cauliflower rice. See my frozen cauliflower rice pilaf recipe for prep advice.
- Steamed sweet corn kernels are a delicious substitute for the peppers in this recipe.
- Add some avocado slices to your shrimp and quinoa bowl for a creamy boost of healthy fat.
- My avocado lime ranch dressing would be a tasty change up from the one included in the recipe.
More Quinoa Recipes
Quinoa is actually quite versatile and I have a wide variety of recipes featuring it. Here are a few you may enjoy.
- My Ratatouille Soup recipe is loaded with veggies and quinoa. It's gluten-free and low in calories too!
- For an appetizer, be sure to try my Shrimp and Spinach Quinoa Cakes. They're a great start to any meal.
- Quinoa Roasted Vegetables make a delicious side dish for any entrée.
Shrimp Quinoa Kale Salad Bowls with Hummus Dressing
- ½ pound frozen shrimp thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon paprika or chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Quinoa Kale Salad
- 3-4 cups of baby kale greens
- ½ cup cooked quinoa I used red quinoa, but any color is fine
- ½ cup sweet peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoon sliced scallions
- ½ cup hummus
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Mix shrimp with seasonings and set aside.
- Whisk together the hummus dressing ingredients and arrange half the quinoa, kale and sweet peppers in each of two bowls. Pour some of the dressing on each bowl.
- Sauté Marinated Shrimp over medium heat until cooked through.
- Once fully cooked, divide the marinated shrimp and place in the bowls then sprinkle generously with the sliced scallions.
Leave a Reply