This Spiced Kamut and Chick Pea Salad is a quick and easy recipe, that will fit in with those healthy resolutions you've made.
Some whole grains such as Kamut (an ancient strain of wheat berry, which is naturally lower in gluten), take a long time to cook . Pre-boiling these whole grains, and having them on-hand makes it far easier to integrate them into your cooking. A little easy prep work can do a lot toward keeping you on track. If you can whip together a quick stir fry or hearty salad, within 10 minutes, you are far less likely to be tempted by less healthy options.
This kamut and chick pea salad provides plenty of complex carbs and protein to fuel you, healthy fat through olive oil and a whopping 17 grams of fiber. The salad is generously seasoned with the anti-inflammatory cancer fighters paprika and tumeric. As you can see in this Cooking Light article on cancer fighting foods, garlic and legumes are also great for this. It is one of my favorite recipes with Kamut and easy to make too!
- 1 cup cooked kamut or other whole berry wheat
- 1 can chick peas
- 6-9 grape tomatoes chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed/minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbs white vinegar or lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the kamut, chick peas and tomato in a high mixing bowl.
- In small dish, mix together garlic, oil, paprika, thyme and tumeric, to make dressing.
- Pour dressing over the the kamut mixture, and stir to evenly coat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.