These Chocolate Covered Cherry Mini Cakes are incredibly easy to make cupcake versions of the beloved Cherry Cordial Chocolates. A mini bundt pan is used to easily create the cavity for the cherry filling then a simple ganache tops the little cakes.
There is something about chocolate covered cherries that just seems a little extra romantic to me. I know the classic heart box of chocolates is the Valentine’s standard, but the simple chocolate covered cherry is always sweet & reliable, whereas the sample boxes can give you a rude surprise (I’m not a big fan of cremes).
Article contains affiliate links.
Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting is another fave around here, and so is my Nordic Ware Platinum Mini Bundt Pan.
I thought about how the hollow in a mini-bundt could be filled, and a new sort of black forest cake came to mind. A single serve chocolate covered cherry cake. I got to mixing some batter.
Once the chocolate mini bundt cakes were cool, I filled them with cherry pie filling, and topped off with a quick chocolate ganache. I made the chocolate cake from scratch, but by all means a good chocolate cake mix would do just fine for this.
Pressed for time? Get these flavors in my crazy easy Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake.
- Chocolate cake batter prepare according to box directions or use the Chocolate Cherry Cake batter recipe below
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- 1 cup bitter or semi- sweet chocolate chopped or chips
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs milk
- **optional whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour a mini-bundt pan.
- Prepare cake batter, and fill the pan cavities 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until pick pulls clean. Then cool a few minutes & remove to rack to finish cooling.
- Fill each mini-bundt cake with cherry pie filling. Focus on getting some cherries in and gently press down, a little will absorb into cake giving you a bit more room to fit more. Fill right up to the top.
- Prepare ganache in microwave: Place the ingredients in microwave safe bowl and zap for 20 seconds, stir. Repeat until smooth but not completely soupy.
- Spoon over each cake, and gently swirl spoon to ensure the whole top is covered.
- Allow to cool a minute or two before serving, or do ahead of time.
- Top with whipped cream & leftover cherry filling if you like.
*a box of cake mix is fine if you prefer. The recipe makes just the right amount for my Nordic ware Mini-Bundt pan (6 mini-bundts)
Chocolate cherry batter for cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbs cherry juice concentrate
- 1/3 cup finely chopped bitter or semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream the butter, sugar and salt together.
- Add egg, vanilla & buttermilk. Whisk.
- Add the baking soda, cocoa & flour. Mix well. Then add the cherry concentrate and mix until well blended.
- Fold in the chocolate until evenly distributed.
- Baking time will vary by pan choice.