This rich Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe is kicked up a notch with the addition of a layer of fudge. Ooey Gooey delicious is the result! This may just be the ultimate easy dessert for anyone who loves chocolate covered cherries.
The recipe is simple to prepare with just 4 ingredients; cake mix, pie filling, fudge sauce and butter. Dump cakes are much foolproof, so great for beginner bakers. baking pan
Chocolate Dump Cake with Cherry Filling
This chocolate and cherry dump cake may not be the prettiest cake you make anytime soon, but it is mighty tasty. It's super easy to make too. Even with the addition of the rich fudge layer, the recipe is only four ingredients! It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare for the oven.
If you are a bit incredulous about how that works out, no worries, I have step-by-step visual directions below (perfect for new cooks or those who learn better visually).
Fudge Dump Cake
Honestly, I probably would have just made a standard 3 ingredient chocolate cherry dump cake had it not been for how delicious the Caramel Apple Dump Cake I made recently came out. I thought why not elevate the chocolatiness of this dessert. The additions was a big hit and if you like topping your chocolate cherry flavor cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or big dollop of whipped cream like I do, the combination is awesome.
For another delicious chocolate dump cake, try my Oreo Dump Cake. It is my daughter's favorite!
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
Here is that visual walk through of the easy to make chocolate cherry dump cake recipe that I promised you. A full printable recipe card is below also.
The recipe makes 10 servings.
Here is everything you need to make this delicious chocolate fudge and cherry dump cake.
- 1-2 cans of cherry pie filling
- 6 oz hot fudge sauce , ½ of most available jars (a tub of softened chocolate frosting can be swapped)
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, devil's food or brownie mix
- ¾ cup unsalted butter , 1 ½ sticks
For extra chocolate flavor, add chocolate chips too.
First, apply non-stick cooking spray to the inside of your baking dish and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Dump your canned cherry pie filling into the baking pan and spread it out.
Now slather half a jar of fudge sauce over the cherries.
Pour chocolate cake mix on top and spread it out. Sprinkle on some chocolate chips if you like.
Finally, drizzle melted butter over the top of the dry cake mix. It will soak in during the baking process and create a delicious crust.
Place in the preheated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes until top of cake is firm to touch and dark around the edges.
Cool for 10 minutes for a hot cake or cool to room temperature. The chocolate cherry dessert is best to serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, as shown here. Chocolate syrup is also nice drizzled over the top of the cake and ice cream. Why not add maraschino cherries on top while you are at it!
Store the casserole dish in the fridge covered well with plastic wrap or package leftovers in an airtight container. Cool completely, then promptly package and refrigerate (within 2 hours).
This dump cake is good for a 3-4 days in the refrigerator, but then it should be tossed. [ref] Much like a pie, this dessert shouldn't be left out at room temperature for extended periods of time. Unless it is being eaten within a matter of a day it should be refrigerated.
I this this cherries and chocolate dessert would be great served anytime, but it would be perfect for a Valentine's or Christmas dessert.
More Dump Cake Recipes
If you are looking for more easy recipes for desserts check out some of my other dump cakes. My Peach Dump Cake recipe is especially popular. The Strawberry Dump Cake and Pumpkin Dump Cake recipes are not to be missed either though. I also have a yummy blueberry dump cake and a cranberry dump cake that is perfect for fall and winter (not pictured).
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- 9x13 inch baking dish
- 21 oz can of cherry pie filling
- 6 oz fudge sauce , ½ of most available jars
- 1 box chocolate cake mix , devil's food cake mix or brownie mix
- ¾ cup unsalted butter , 1 ½ sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 f. Coat the inside of a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop the cherry pie filling from can into the dish and spread it out to cover the bottom.
- Slather on a layer of fudge sauce over the cherries.
- Pour dry chocolate cake mix over the chocolate and cherries. Spread it out evenly.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe container and drizzle the melted butter over the top of the cake mix, distributing evenly.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until the cake forms a crust. Check it after about 15 minutes and push the butter around on top if big areas of cake are staying dry.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. The dessert is best served warm.