Little says Christmas more than gingerbread. I wanted to make a gingerbread cake, but didn’t want a large layer cake hanging around tempting me, nor did I want a sugary frosting. Thus, we have a Gingerbread Cake Roll recipe today. My Eggnog Whipped Cream would also make a nice filling substitution for this roll.Print
Gingerbread Cake Roll
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dessert
- 1 stick (1/4 lb) unsalted butter
- 2/3 c light brown sugar
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup confectionery sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & grease* and flour a jelly roll pan or small edged cookie sheet.
- Cream together butter with sugars, in large mixing bowl.
- In a a separate bowl, blend flour, salt baking powder and spices, then add to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla, molasses and milk. Mix well, until smooth, and evenly distributed.
- Pour into greased pan, and spread evenly to edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Once cake has cooled sufficiently. Place plastic wrap over cake, and flip pan over, to release cake onto it.
- Freeze mixing bowl and beaters for at least 10 minutes.
- Add ingredients to mixing bowl, and hand whisk to blend, once distributed, switch to electric mixer.
- Beat on medium until cream starts to fold, then whip on high, until cream makes sturdy peaks.
- Spread the filling evenly over cake.
- Use the plastic wrap to help you roll the cake log.
- Refrigerate until about 15-20 minutes before serving time.
- Slice off ends for better presentation, when serving.
*cooking spray & flour or specialty baking spray are fine