When the holidays roll around, I think cookies, portable cakes and seasonal flavors, such as eggnog, peppermint & gingerbread. Now, even though I do a lot of baking this time of year, I still like to keep our treats as healthy as I can without sacrificing flavor and texture.
A mix of oil and butter is used in the pound cake to create rich flavor while keeping saturated fat down.
Chocolate Gingerbread Pound Cake Recipe
Chocolate Ginger Poundcake
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 ¼ cup sugar or reduced/zero calorie natural sweetener that measures like sugar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ cup molasses unsulfured
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup apple sauce
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup flour
- non-stick cooking spray and flour for dusting
Ginger-Vanilla Glaze (optional)
- 1 tbs melted butter
- 1 ½ tbs confectionery sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place melted butter, oil, sugar and salt in mixing bowl. Whisk together well.
- Add molasses, vanilla, applesauce, eggs and milk. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the baking soda, spices and flours, then add to the wet batter, and mix until smooth and even.
- Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray, and flour pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, until pick pulls clean from center. Set on rack to cool.
- If you choose to glaze the cake, whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth, then drizzle over the cooled poundcake.