When the holidays roll around, I think cookies, portable cakes and seasonal flavors, such as eggnog, peppermint & gingerbread. Now, even though I do a lot of baking this time of year, I still like to keep our treats as healthy as I can without sacrificing flavor and texture.
A mix of oil and butter is used in the pound cake to create rich flavor while keeping saturated fat down.
Chocolate Gingerbread Pound Cake Recipe
Chocolate Ginger Poundcake
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup sugar or reduced/zero calorie natural sweetener that measures like sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup molasses unsulfured
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup flour
- non-stick cooking spray and flour for dusting
Ginger-Vanilla Glaze (optional)
- 1 tbs melted butter
- 1 1/2 tbs confectionery sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place melted butter, oil, sugar and salt in mixing bowl. Whisk together well.
- Add molasses, vanilla, applesauce, eggs and milk. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the baking soda, spices and flours, then add to the wet batter, and mix until smooth and even.
- Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray, and flour pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, until pick pulls clean from center. Set on rack to cool.
- If you choose to glaze the cake, whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth, then drizzle over the cooled poundcake.