These Halloween Spider Cake Balls are a gruesome treat everyone is sure to gobble up. As Halloween Party food goes these are destined to be a tradition. Scratch recipe included below, but by all means if you are not much of a baker feel free to use boxed cake mix and store bought frosting. Just make sure to follow the assembly directions, for the spider cake balls.
More Easy Halloween Party Food
- Vampire Donuts
- Witch’s Hat Treats
- Witch’s Brew Candy Bark
- Spider Web Cookie Pizza with Pumpkin Spice Frosting
- 1 3/4 C Flour
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 C Cocoa
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C Whole Milk
- 1/2 C Oil
- 2 TSP Vanilla
- 1 C Boiling Water
- 1/4 C dark cocoa powder
- 2 C soft unsalted butter
- 1/4 C half & half
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C powder sugar
Items Assemble Spider Cake Balls
- Ghirardelli melting chocolate
- Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Candy eyes
- Black licorice strings
Cake ball Directions:
- - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Spray a 9 X 5 pan with baking spray.
- -Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- -In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
- -Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
- -Mix all together until fully incorporated.
- -Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- -Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water.
- -The batter may be a little runny.
- -Pour into a prepared pan.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- -Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Chocolate Frosting Directions
- -In a mixing bowl with a paddle beat butter until smooth.
- -Add half & half and beat until fluffy and light.
- -Add vanilla and beat for 1 min.
- -Add powdered sugar and cocoa slowly and beat until well blended scraping the sides of the bowl so that it is all blended.
- -If frosting is not stiff enough add more powder sugar 1/4 C at a time.
- -Test to see if the frosting is ready, take a spoonful and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting hangs onto the spoon then it is ready if not then add more powder sugar.
Assembling Spider Cake Balls
- -Once the cake is cool using your hands crumble the cake and put the pieces in a bowl.
- -Take a spoon full of the frosting and add it to the crumbled cake.
- -Use a spoon to combine.
- -Add more frosting until you can form a small round ball.
- -To form a ball take a small ice cream scoop of cake and frosting, using your hands to form a ball.
- -Put the hand made cake balls into a refrigerator for an hour.
- -Melt the chocolate in a double boiler to melt. Continue to stir frequently to make sure that all of the chocolates have melted.
- -After removing the cake balls from the refrigerator push a cake pop stick in the center of the cake ball.
- -Once the chocolate has hardened, dip the cake ball into the chocolate until fully coated.
- -Place the individual dipped chocolate balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet to dry.
- -Place two small candy eyes on the center of the cake ball.
- -Add three shorts pieces of black licorice to each side the cake ball.