After several months of preparation, I finally fully transitioned my daughter into a gluten and dairy free diet (GFCF) , to see if it helps her with her autism symptoms. This is the best version of gluten-free pizza dough that I have come up with so far. It is loosely based on one from Gluten-Free Goddess, in conjunction with a few other sources. The dough is tender, and while not quite as chewy as traditional crust, it has a nice texture. This would be even better as a white pizza with cheese, but we are omitting casein, so no cheese, and my daughter’s preference is for “pizza strip” style, with just lots of tomato sauce.Print
Gluten-Free Pizza Recipe (also Dairy-free)
Gluten and dairy free pizza recipe, for those on GFCF diets.
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 18 mins
- Yield: 4
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 packet active yeast
- 2 tsp sugar (1 for yeast water, 1 for dough mix)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup millet (or sorghum) flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp vinegar (rice or other gluten-free type)
- Whisk together the warm water, yeast and 1 tsp of sugar. Set aside to develop.
- Mix together the flours, corn starch, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl beat together the egg, oil, garlic and vinegar.
- Combine the two mixtures, until thoroughly mixed. The dough will be rather sticky.
- Dust a kneading surface with gluten free flour (I use rice flour, since it is least expensive.) Form the dough into ball and knead a little until it is handle-able. Do not overwork it.
- Stretch and form the dough into a crust shape. Leave it a little thick at this point.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or very lightly oil it.
- Transfer dough to pan. Press and stretch the dough until crust is thin.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in a warm place to rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake crust for 7-8 minutes. Remove and add toppings.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool on a rack or double folded towel, to keep crust crispy.
- Cut and serve.