These moist Lemon Cupcakes are easy to make and sure to be a big hit with all the lemon dessert lovers! After all there is triple the lemon flavor in these cupcakes.
Lemon Cupcakes… to the Max!
These easy lemon cupcakes start off with boxed cake mix to keep them simple to make, but they are tricked up to be some of the moistest cupcakes you ever had. The cake itself is enriched with lemon pudding. Milk is used rather than the water called for on some box mixes too. A lemon glaze is then poured over to saturate and seal the cupcakes making ensuring they are both terrifically moist and packed with the taste of lemon. Finally, each is topped with freshly made lemon buttercream frosting!
Of course, you can serve them just like that or you can dress them up a bit with a fancy garnish. They are shown below with pearl sprinkles and above with some fresh lemon zest and blueberry.
How to Make Moist Lemon Cupcakes
Here are some highlights of the process of making these triple lemon cupcakes. Full printable recipe card can be found below.
Here are the ingredients we are going to use. The boxed cake mix and pudding make the process much easier and the scratch glaze and frosting add the homemade element.
First preheat your oven and put liners in your cupcake pan. Then add your batter ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Beat until smooth.
Scoop the batter into liners 2/3rds full. Bake.
The cupcakes will take about 15-20 minutes to bake. Once done allow to cool in pan a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack or tray to finish cooling.
Test for doneness: When a toothpick inserted in center pulls clean the cupcakes are fully baked.
Glaze the Cupcakes
Mix the lemon juice and sugar together to make the glaze while cupcakes are cooling.
Poke each cupcake multiple times with a toothpick and pour glaze over the top. This will help moisten them like with my Tres Leches Cupcakes.
Make the Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Whip together the soft butter and a cup of powdered sugar, then add remaining wet ingredients. Mix well, then add more powdered sugar while beating until you have whipped buttercream frosting that holds a peak well.
Garnish with sprinkles or lemon zest.
More Fun Desserts from Cake Mix
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 1 Package Lemon Instant Pudding
- 1/3 Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4 Eggs
Lemon Glaze for Cupcakes
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
Lemon Frosting for Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted Butter (one stick) room temperature
- 2 to 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 to 3 Teaspoons of Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Completely combine all cupcake ingredients.
- Spoon into cupcake liners filling about 2/3 full.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (do not over cook).
- Mix lemon glaze ingredients together.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then poke holes with a toothpick and pour lemon glaze over the cupcakes to absorb in the holes.
- Let cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter with one cup of the powdered sugar.
- Add the vanilla and 1 more cup of powdered sugar and continue mixing.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice to thin icing.
- If needed, add in 1/2 cup or 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined (Add more or less lemon juice depending on the consistency. You want the frosting to be light and fluffy, yet able to hold a point)
- Garnish cupcakes with sprinkles, lemon zest, or fruit.