For me, pomegranates are one of those foods that I strongly associate with Christmas, probably more so because of their popular use in decorative arrangements this time of year, rather than from their use in recipes, but it still seemed the perfect ingredient to add to holiday cookies. The juicy seeds with crunch inside pair well with chocolate and are perfect for use in crispy biscotti.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. confectionery sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1 tbs pomegranate juice
- 1/4 c. pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chunks semi-sweet chips are fine
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cream together butter, sugar (both types), salt & vanilla. Add flour and pomegranate juice. Mix well.
- Add the pomegranate seeds and chocolate, stir to blend until evenly distributed.
- Place dough on parchment lined baking sheet, and form the dough into a long semi-flat log, about 3" wide and 1" high.
- Bake until the center is set, about 30 minutes.
- Take out and set aside until cool enough to easily handle. Reduce oven temp. to 325.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices, and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes, remove and allow to cool before serving.
- Store in air tight container.