This easy one skillet low carb chicken sausage risotto recipe is made with riced cauliflower, chicken sausage, peppers and mushrooms. You will have a flavorful and healthy family dinner for four on the table in under 30 minutes. No one will even notice is low carb.
This recipe is sponsored by Al Fresco. Recipe and opinions are my own.
Like so many people lately, I have been trying to cut back on eating carbohydrates and sugars. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not super strict about it. I will still have a little ice cream on occasion, steal a chip from my daughter or get fries at a restaurant once in awhile. I do feel better overall eating fewer carbs and have lost a few pounds. I’ve also been subtly cutting my daughter back a little. She eats typically at school, but I make fruit and vegetable snacks ready available and focus on meats and vegetables for dinner (like this meal).
This cauliflower Sausage Risotto gets tons of flavor from the Al Fresco Roasted Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausages, as well as the fresh red peppers, mushrooms and sweet onion in it. A little heavy cream enriches the dish and asiago cheese in the sauce repeats the flavor from the sausage. With all those flavors going on I merely added a little chicken stock and two sprigs of rosemary, I don’t think it needs anything else. Not only do Al Fresco chicken sausages bring more flavor to dishes like this than plain old chicken, but face it who really wants to handle raw chicken if they don’t need to.
Frozen cauliflower rice makes the dish even easier to prepare.
Making Low Carb Sausage Risotto (with riced Cauliflower)
This low carb sausage risotto recipe is easy to make and is ready in under 30 minutes. Here is a visual walk through of the process of making this creamy sausage cauliflower risotto with peppers and mushrooms. Full recipe below.
First I sliced up the vegetables and chicken sausage.
The chicken sausage along with the sweet onions and peppers were added to a hot pan (med-high) with olive oil.
After sauteing for about 5 minutes, the riced cauliflower and rosemary were added. The risotto is stirred frequently.
After about 5 more minutes, it is time to add the sliced mushrooms. The burner is reduced to medium and pan is stirred regularly.
After 3-4 minutes chicken stock is added. It will reduce pretty quickly as there is not a lot of it. (2-3 min)
At this point reduce burner to med-low and add the heavy cream. Stir it in.
… then add the asiago. Stir until the sauce is rich and thick (will take about 3-5 minutes)
Our low carb sausage risotto is ready to serve. I like to top it with a little extra asiago and a little chopped parsley.
Al Fresco All Natural Sausages
Al Fresco chicken sausages are a fantastic less-fuss more flavor substitute for raw chicken in many dishes. Of course they are an obvious swap for pork sausages as well. The recipe above uses their fully cooked dinner chicken sausages. I chose the Roasted Pepper & Asiago flavor since I knew it would go great in Italian dishes, which are popular in my household. If you want variety though, they certainly offer it. Just in this fully cooked line they have ten different varieties including: Buffalo Style with Blue Cheese, Spinach & Feta and Smoked Andouille.
The sausages are widely available and ready to help you jazz up your old chicken dishes. Al Fresco can be found in most major grocery stores and big box retailers. Varieties available will vary by store.
More Low Carb Recipes You May Like
- Chicken Sausage Bacon Ranch Salad
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Rice Casserole
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
Low Carb chicken sausage cauliflower risotto recipe with mushrooms & peppers.
- 2 cups of sliced sweet peppers 2-3 peppers
- 2 cups of sliced crimini mushrooms approx. 5 oz.
- 1 cup of chopped sweet onion about 1/2 a medium sweet onion
- 1 package of Roasted Pepper & Asiago Al Fresco All Natural Chicken Sausages
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 12 oz bag of frozen riced cauliflower*
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary feel free to season with thyme or bay leaf instead if you don't have rosemary
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago
- Place large skillet on burner over medium-high heat. Once hot add olive oil, then the peppers, onions and chicken sausage. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the riced cauliflower and rosemary. Stir frequently while cooking another 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the mushrooms, cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring, then add the chicken stock and cook another 2-3 minutes until it seems to thicken a little.
- Now reduce the heat to low-medium and add the heavy cream and asiago cheese. Stir while cooking until the dish is rich and creamy (3-5 minutes).
- Remove from burner and serve. A little extra asiago and chopped parsley make great toppings.
* if you prefer to use fresh riced cauliflower you will need 3 cups