I’m back on the Keto diet. This Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Rice Casserole was dinner last night’s dinner and I was so pleased with it. I knew I needed to share.
I think you will love this low carb recipe featuring cauliflower rice as much as I do. The easy casserole is also gluten-free.
Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Rice Casserole
This low carb Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole features cauliflower rice which makes it an all in one meal. A hearty serving has just 3 net grams of carbohydrates!
The recipe was inspired by my recent Jalapeno Popper Dip. I wanted to make it into a full meal, but one that would fit in a keto meal plan. I guess I’ve had jalapeño poppers on the brain lately.
I chose to serve it with some freshly diced tomato and avocado on the side, but that is completely optional.
How to make Jalapeno Popper Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Casserole
Here is the quick visual walk though of preparing the keto friendly casserole.
Full printable recipe card with measurement adjustments by number of servings can be found below.
- cream cheese
- mayonnaise (full fat)
- salt free seasoning blend
- chopped raw chicken breast
- frozen cauliflower , riced
- chopped canned jalapeno
- shredded sharp cheddar
- Pickled jalapeno rings, for top
First preheat the oven, prepare the baking dish and chop your chicken into bite sized pieces.
Then warm the cream cheese in a microwave until soft enough to whisk with the mayonnaise and seasoning.
Add the chopped chicken breast, riced cauliflower and diced jalapenos. Mix well.
Add 2/3rds of the cheddar cheese and mix it in.
Spread into the prepared casserole dish. Bake about 35 minutes.
Top with remaining shredded cheese and some pepper rings.
Return to oven for a few more minutes until cheese is nicely melted.
Serving the Low Carb Casserole
As I’ve mentioned, this can just be scooped on a plate and served, but some fresh tomato and avocado go wonderfully along with the dish. A simple green salad with keto-friendly salad dressing would also team well with the casserole.
I found no need for salt & pepper or condiments. There is so much flavor in the cheeses, pickled jalapenos and salt free seasoning, additions are unnecessary in my opinion.
Really want to get your spicy Keto on… make my Keto Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs on-a-stick to go with this low carb casserole.
Can this Casserole be frozen?
Yes, this dish should freeze without any issues.
Why frozen cauliflower?
I personally find it easier, more cost effective and less susceptible to spoilage. My local Market Basket store has their own generic frozen riced cauliflower reasonably priced. If you prefer to rice fresh, go right ahead and swap it in.
I know it sounds counter intuitive, but the fresh riced cauliflower may take a little longer to cook than the frozen cauliflower rice. The freezing softens the cauliflower a bit.
Can I use cooked chicken?
Yes, while I prefer the flavor and texture of using the raw diced chicken, chopped leftover chicken will work fine.
More Easy Keto Dinners
Here are a few more easy Keto dinner ideas for you. Links are right under the collage image.
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Vegetables – Easy Low Carb Keto Recipe!
- Keto Salmon Dinner with Greek Yogurt Sauce
- Keto Pork Chops in Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry Keto
- Lemon Baked Cod Keto
- 8 x 11 baking dish
- 8 oz cream cheese (one block)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt free seasoning blend
- 1 pound chicken breast , (raw) chopped into bite sized pieces
- 12 oz cauliflower , riced (I used a bag of frozen)
- 4 oz chopped jalapeno , canned drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar , 8 ounce bag, divided
- Pickled jalapeno rings , about 16-20
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat interior of baking dish (8x11) with non-stick cooking spray
- Place the cream cheese in a large microwave safe bowl. Zap in 20 second intervals until soft to whisk. Add the mayonnaise and seasoning and whisk.
- Drop in the chicken, cauliflower and peppers. Mix well.
- Now add 2/3 of the shredded cheese and fold in.
- Spread the mixture out in the baking dish. Then bake for about 33-35 minutes. Chicken will be cooked and edges bubbly.
- Top casserole with remaining cheese and the jalapeno rings. Return to oven to bake 5-7 min until cheese is well melted.
- Best served slightly cooled, but if you have no patience just dig in.