I decided to come up with my own low fat eggplant lasagna recipe, since I love eggplant lasagna but often find it unnecessarily oily. Both the breading and the eggplant itself, act like a sponge and soak up oil, adding a lot of calories, and making for a greasy finished plate. Here I crisped up the lightly breaded eggplant in the oven (rather than frying), before baking with the cheese and other vegetables. The results were just as tasty, but healthier and more pleasant to eat. This fresh and healthy low fat eggplant lasagna has approximately 325 calories per serving, and only cost me about $1.20/serving to make. For heartier appetites, simply serve some pasta or Italian bread and salad along with it.
Making the Low Fat Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
Makes four servings. Enjoy the low fat eggplant lasagna recipe with your whole family!
Eggplant Lasagna Recipe - low fat
- 1 medium-large sized eggplant cut 8 planks from it
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning or garlic + Italian Seasoning
- no-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup part-skim Ricotta
- ⅛ cup 2 tbs thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tbs. freshly chopped basil
- 1 tbs. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 cup chopped raw mushrooms
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 ounces part skim mozzarella
- ½ jar of pasta sauce
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Put whole wheat flour in a bowl, season with Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning (or garlic powder & Italian Seasoning), Kosher salt and pepper.
- Whisk one egg with the milk, in another bowl, to make an egg wash (season this, as well).
- Pour the Italian bread crumbs into a third bowl.
- Dredge each eggplant in the flour, then put in egg wash, turning to coat well. Lift out and let excess wash drip off. Place in final bowl, and lightly press the crumbs on to ensure they stick well.
- Arrange the breaded eggplant "planks" on a baking sheet. Spray with no-stick spray, flip and spray other side.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip the eggplant, and bake for another 10 minutes. When you remove the eggplant, cut the oven down to 375°.
- While eggplant is baking, put olive oil in saute pan on med-high heat. Add onions and saute until nearly cooked, add mushrooms saute and season with salt and pepper. Set aside when done.
- Mix the Ricotta with 1 egg white, scallions, basil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Coat bottom of shallow pan with pasta sauce. Place 4 of the eggplant slices in the sauce.
- Top with the Ricotta mixture, and about a ¼ of the mozzarella.
- Now add the mushroom and onion saute, then another ¼ of the mozzarella and a few dollops of sauce.
- Top with the remaining breaded eggplant planks. Spoon on sauce over each, and smooth out to cover. Finish with the rest of the mozzarella.
- Bake at 375°, for 25 minutes.