This low calorie shrimp and bean sprout (“noodles”) stir fry, is under 150 calories. Lately, I’ve been eating several mini-meals through out the day, rather than a more typical meal plan, and it has helped me successfully drop a few pounds. I try and keep most of these mini- meals under 200 – 300 calories, and avoid adding many beverage calories.
In this Shrimp and “Noodles” dish, bean sprouts take the place of real noodles, so this would work well for those on a low carb diet, as well. I was surprised the first time I made a bean sprout stir fry, how much they reminded me of noodles, when cooked relatively dry. Other than a splash of soy sauce, and a minimal amount of sesame oil, a dry seasoning blend is used.Print
Under 150 Calories! Shrimp and “Noodles”
1/2 bag of bean sprouts
3 oz. shrimp (bite size pieces)
2-4 leaves of basil (Thai or lime basil would be ideal, but regular sweet basil is fine)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
splash of soy sauce (I use low-sodium version)
generously season with salt free seasoning blend (I used Mrs. Dash Caribbean blend)
- Place non-stick wok or skillet on med-high heat.
- Put in sesame oil, bean sprouts and salt-free seasoning blend. Stir frequntly.
- Once bean sprouts are nearly cooked add the shrimp and soy sauce. Tear the basil up and drop into the pan.
- Stir fry until shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve with soy sauce, a splash of citrus juice or a little sriracha hot sauce.
you will notice that just 3 oz. of shrimp is used in this recipe, while a standard portion of this protein is 4 oz. This was done because it is a mini-meal, but if you wish to go with the full 4 oz. the calorie difference will only be +25, so go for it.
- Calories: 150