This low calorie shrimp and bean sprout ("noodles") stir fry, is under 150 calories. Lately, I've been eating several mini-meals through out the day, rather than a more typical meal plan, and it has helped me successfully drop a few pounds. I try and keep most of these mini- meals under 200 - 300 calories, and avoid adding many beverage calories.
In this Shrimp and "Noodles" dish, bean sprouts take the place of real noodles, so this would work well for those on a low carb diet, as well. I was surprised the first time I made a bean sprout stir fry, how much they reminded me of noodles, when cooked relatively dry. Other than a splash of soy sauce, and a minimal amount of sesame oil, a dry seasoning blend is used.
- ½ bag of bean sprouts
- 3 oz. shrimp bite size pieces
- 2-4 leaves of basil Thai or lime basil would be ideal, but regular sweet basil is fine
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- splash of soy sauce I use low-sodium version
- generously season with salt free seasoning blend I used Mrs. Dash Caribbean blend
- Place non-stick wok or skillet on med-high heat.
- Put in sesame oil, bean sprouts and salt-free seasoning blend. Stir frequntly.
- Once bean sprouts are nearly cooked add the shrimp and soy sauce. Tear the basil up and drop into the pan.
- Stir fry until shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve with soy sauce, a splash of citrus juice or a little sriracha hot sauce.