A delicious simple Italian Wheat Bulgur Salad that works as a side with a wide array of entrees and is even well suited as a light meal. Cracked wheat salad is nutritious and easy to make.
As part of my healthy eating changes, I have frequently been preparing wheat bulgur, with vegetables. This Italian Bulgur Wheat Salad Recipe is similar to tabuoli, but with a focus on the popular flavors of Italy.
Variations on the Recipe
Some add-ins to this tasty salad you should consider:
- garbanzo beans or sprinkle on some Air Fryer Chickpeas
- crumbled feta cheese or pearl mozzarella balls
- freshly diced veggies like English cucumber and bell peppers are crisp refreshing additions
- sliced green onions or for more pungency diced red onions
- fresh herbs, such as chopped fresh parsley
- try adding a little fresh squeezed lemon juice or grate some lemon zest into the salad
To make ahead or store leftovers seal in an airtight container or cover the bowl you made it in with plastic wrap.
Make a platter for dinner with Italian Focaccia Bread, Balsamic Roasted Asparagus & Tomato, Sun Dried Tomato Garbanzo Bean Dip and Grilled Stuffed Chicken Breast Italiano. It would also make a perfect side for a Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Wrap or Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks.
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 zucchini squash quartered & sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed/minced
- generous pinch of thyme
- 1 cup wheat bulgur dry
- 1 ¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup tomato diced
- ⅓ cup fresh basil chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil on med-high, in large wok or dutch oven.
- Lightly saute the onions, zucchini, garlic & thyme. 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bulgur and saute another minute.
- Add broth and wine, bring to boil, then cover & reduce to simmer*.
- Once liquid is absorbed, remove from burner, and add the tomato & basil.
- Can be served warm, or cold.