As part of my healthy eating changes, I have frequently been preparing wheat bulgur, with vegetables. This Italian Wheat Bulgur Salad Recipe is similar to tabuoli, but with a focus on the popular flavors of Italy.
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 zucchini squash quartered & sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed/minced
- generous pinch of thyme
- 1 cup wheat bulgur dry
- 1 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped
- Heat oil on med-high, in large wok or dutch oven.
- Lightly saute the onions, zucchini, garlic & thyme. 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bulgur and saute another minute.
- Add broth and wine, bring to boil, then cover & reduce to simmer*.
- Once liquid is absorbed, remove from burner, and add the tomato & basil.
- Can be served warm, or cold.
*Bulgur is simmered, rather than shutting off to absorb liquid, to cook wine. Optional: Add diced chicken, shrimp, garbanzo beans or sliced fresh mozzarella, for a more substantial mean and additional protein.