Article brought to you in collaboration with McCormick. Recipe and opinions are my own.
As a child, I remember my mother making a lot of different old fashioned Christmas cookies and candies. My parents have always had a fondness for both antiques and local history, so it sort of made sense that I would come home from school to a mother covered in flour, with an old cookbook in hand making batches of cookies. This recipe for Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies is just the sort of thing she would make, especially since it doesn’t call for butter. My parents not only had a tight budget, but if you ran out of something you made due, until you needed enough to make a shopping trip, since we lived in a rural area & it took a bit of a drive to get to the store.
The cookies are crisp, akin to a ginger snap, but not a s pungent.
Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies Recipe : Preparing
Roll one tablespoon sized balls of the molasses cookie dough in sugar and cinnamon. Then arrange directly on an ungreased baking sheet. They will develop a fun crinkled appearance while baking and cooling.
Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies Recipe
This Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies Recipe belongs in every recipe box. Molasses cookies are a favorite of Santa you know.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen
- Category: cookies
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsulphered molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached flour (all-purpose is fine)
- sugar and cinnamon for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg in a large mixing bowl, then whisk in oil & sugar.
- Add the molasses, spices, salt and baking soda, mix well.
- Now, add the flour and mix well. It will make a stiff dough.
- Sprinkle a rolling surface with sugar and a little cinnamon (use a shallow bowl if you prefer)
- Roll 1 tablespoon size scoops of the dough into balls and coat in the cinnamon sugar.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet, approximately 3″ apart.
- Bake 12-13 minutes, until golden brown and crinkled on top.
- Cool and serve.