Sauteed vegetables are one of the the most classic of side dishes and quite nutritious. The quick and easy Italian seasoned vegetables recipe can make a simple rotisserie chicken into a great low carb meal.
Sauteed Vegetables Make It a Meal
So many of us are trying to focus on serving nutritious family dinners each evening, but are incredibly strapped for time. In our house, I have been trying to make sure our meals are nutrient dense and something both my fussy daughter and I will eat. Sometimes my solution is a mix of ready made items, like a rotisserie chicken along with a quick batch of sautéed vegetables. That is exactly what is on our dinner menu tonight.
While we stuck with the chicken and sauteed veggies, a nice green salad with a Vinaigrette or Ranch Dressing would be a great addition. Maybe start some Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes before going shopping. They are a family favorite.
Quick Side Dish
When I can get a nutritious meal on the table with such speed and ease, it leaves me more precious time to pay attention and enjoy my daughter. I don’t feel rushed and we can fit in a small fun activity, instead of mom being busy in the kitchen. No matter why you need dinner to come together fast, this side dish recipe is a tool to do so.
How to Saute Vegetables
This quick and easy fresh vegetable saute is the perfect side for a rotisserie chicken, grilled meats or even drive-thru burgers (instead of fries). No time to cut up veggies, no worries, just swap in frozen.
I used roughly equal parts of these fresh vegetables to saute:
- broccoli florets
- zucchini, sliced
- carrots, thinly sliced
- sweet bell peppers, sliced into bite-sized pieces
I also used a small chopped onion, vegetable spread (use butter if you prefer), Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
Start with 2 tablespoons of butter or spread in a skillet over medium high heat.
Add chopped onion, mixed vegetables and Italian seasoning. Mix together.
Saute until vegetables are cooked, yet still have a little crispness. Add another tablespoon of butter or spread at this point and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and enjoy!
TIP: If you want to swap out one or two of the vegetables, just be mindful of how quickly that veggie cooks and adjust cut size relative to the other selections you have made.
Sauteed Vegetables a Versatile Side Dish
- 3 Tbsp. butter or spread divided
- 1 cup carrots thinly sliced
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1- 1 1/2 cups zucchini sliced and halved
- 1 cup sweet peppers cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Sea Salt and Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons spread or butter in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté vegetables, onion and Italian seasoning, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Top with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter (or spread).