Make the family some Peanut Butter Lo Mein noodles for dinner tonight, either as a vegetarian dinner or fun side dish. These flavor packed hearty Asian noodles are sure to please!
Peanut Butter Lo Mein noodles are one of Lil' Foodie's very favorite foods, and the lo mein with fettuccine noodles is her favorite of all. While I make several different versions of this peanut butter lo mein recipe for her. This is about the simplest one and uses regular natural peanut butter (I sometimes use powdered peanut butter).
My daughter will polish of a huge plate of these noodles in a sitting, and will often look for more after. She has been a bit easier to get protein into lately with her love of yogurt pops & grilled chicken, but I still use peanut butter to sneak protein into dishes for her... and honestly, the happy face and little dance she does when she sees me making them is priceless.
Peanut Butter Lo Mein Recipe
- ½ lb. fettuccine noodles dry
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter natural
- 2 ½ tbs. soy sauce
- 2 tbs. white vinegar
- 2 tbs. brown sugar either light or dark is fine
- ½ teaspoon hot chili sauce more if you want it spicy
- *optional* squeeze a wedge or two of lime juice into sauce
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ¼ cup sweet onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Put on pot of boiling water for pasta. Cook the fettuccine to al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together orange juice, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, chili sauce and lime if you are using it.
- Heat oil in skillet over med-high, once hot add the onion and garlic. Stir fry, until onion is cooked, but still has a little firmness, not mushy, then add the noodles and stir fry for 2 minutes,
- Pour the sauce over noodles, and stir to coat, continue folding and mixing the pasta over heat for about a minute.
- Serve with a splash of soy or Ponzu sauce, or wedges of lime.