This Portuguese Blade Steak Recipe, was one of those recipes that came out just right on the first try. I had actually never cooked blade steaks before, but have been wanting to experiment with this inexpensive cut of beef for some time now.
I knew blade steaks generally either needed to be braised or very well marinated. I have a few Portuguese friends who love blade steak. Although I have never tried their recipes, I did use Portuguese cuisine as an inspiration while I created this simple recipe. Since blade steaks are a relatively inexpensive cut of beef, I kept the cost of the other ingredients down. Family-friendly, usually means budget-friendly, as well.
One of the biggest challenges in our house is getting our 3 1/2 year old daughter to eat enough protein. She surprised me by devouring the small piece of the beef, and then signing for more. She ended out eating almost a whole blade steak! This recipe is sure to become a staple for our family, so I though I would share it with you.Print
Portuguese Blade Steak Recipe
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds of beef blade steaks
- tsp of oil
- 1/2 med. sweet onion (rough diced)
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes in sauce
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large bay leaf (or two smaller ones)
- 1 tbs. Portuguese or Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Put oil in large skillet or braising pan, med-high heat.
- Trim and season the blade steaks with salt & pepper.
- Drop the steaks in pan and add onions too. (Some of the onions will brown up a little too, for more flavor, but just focus on the steaks)
- While steaks are searing mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- When both sides of the steaks are seared, pour in the mixture.
- Cover and put in oven at 300°
- After 40 minutes, flip the steaks and cook uncovered for another 40 minutes.
- Replace cover, reduce heat to 250º and cook for 1 hour.
This blade steak recipe goes great over lightly seasoned rice.