Blade Steak Recipe
This is among the easiest of blade steak recipes, yet is very flavorful from the Portuguese sauce it is simmered in. The Portuguese steak is a common dish in my area, though the locals refer to the cut of beef simply as blade meat.
Portuguese Blade Steak
This Portuguese Blade Steak Recipe, was one of those recipes that came out just right on the first try. I had actually never cooked blade steaks before, but have been wanting to experiment with this inexpensive cut of beef for some time now.
I knew blade steaks generally either needed to be braised or very well marinated. I have a few Portuguese friends who love blade steak. Although I have never tried their recipes, I did use Portuguese cuisine as an inspiration while I created this simple recipe. Since blade steaks are a relatively inexpensive cut of beef, I kept the cost of the other ingredients down. Family-friendly, usually means budget-friendly, as well.
One of the biggest challenges in our house is getting our 3 ½ year old daughter to eat enough protein. She surprised me by devouring the small piece of the beef, and then signing for more. She ended out eating almost a whole blade steak! This recipe is sure to become a staple for our family, so I though I would share it with you.
Portuguese Blade Steak Recipe
- 1 - 1 ½ pounds of beef blade steaks
- teaspoon of oil
- ½ med. sweet onion rough diced
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes in sauce
- ⅓ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large bay leaf or two smaller ones
- 1 tbs. Portuguese or Spanish paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Put oil in large skillet or braising pan, med-high heat.
- Trim and season the blade steaks with salt & pepper.
- Drop the steaks in pan and add onions too. (Some of the onions will brown up a little too, for more flavor, but just focus on the steaks)
- While steaks are searing mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- When both sides of the steaks are seared, pour in the mixture.
- Cover and put in oven at 300°
- After 40 minutes, flip the steaks and cook uncovered for another 40 minutes.
- Replace cover, reduce heat to 250º and cook for 1 hour.