This Spinach and Goat Cheese Pastry Appetizer recipe, is quick and easy. It was developed because I had some thawed out frozen puff pastry on hand, while I was tasting some crumbled goat cheese. I only had about a half hour to spare, and wanted a new recipe, so I put on my thinking cap and I kept preparation simple. Egg seemed the perfect fast and flavorful binder to complete the recipe. The egg was poured on top rather than mixed in,to both help the egg flavor stand out against the stronger flavors of the spinach and goat cheese, and because it looks neat. In the end, I think the limitation of only having 1/2 an hour to complete the recipe resulted in a better recipe. I had no time to over think it, and start adding unnecessary ingredients… besides it was kind of fun.
Spinach, Goat Cheese and Egg, Puff Pastry Appetizer Recipe
- frozen puff pastry thawed
- frozen loose leaf spinach about 1/2 a bag will do
- crumbled goat cheese about 3-4 oz.
- powdered chicken bouillon approx 1/4 to 1/2 tsp I would now use MSG free paste or powder
- 2 eggs
- Mrs. Dash table blend
- tbs. milk
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute spinach with a little oil and garlic. Season to taste with the bouillon, pepper and salt (salt last as bouillon is salty). Set aside to cool a bit.
- Cut pastry dough in squares (a bit larger than the circumference of your muffin/tart tins.
- Push the squares down into the tins, to form shells.
- Fill the shells about 1/3 full with the spinach.
- Beat the eggs and eggs with a whisk. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and about a 1/2 tsp. of Mrs Dash table blend.
- Spoon some egg over the spinach in each each pastry. Roughly a tbs. for the 3″ tarts I made was just enough. Goal is to coat the spinach and just have a little leak in.
- Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake on middle rack for 10 minutes. (time will vary by tart size) Once egg is just set and pastry is just starting to show color.
- Serve warm.