I have some fun Star Wars snack for you today! R2D2 Granola bars are just the way for your favorite Star Wars fan to start their day... Don't you think?
A plate of these little R2D2 granola bars would certainly be a hit at a Star Wars marathon party. I can think of no other way to prep for seeing the new movie. I can't believe Harrison Ford will be back after all these years!
Well, enough rambling. Here is the granola bar recipe along with instructions on making the little icing R2D2s to go on top. Enjoy!
Granola Bar Recipe:
Granola Bars as base for R2D2Print
- 1 cup packed dates pitted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup creamy salted peanut butter
- ⅓ C pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ C raisins
- ⅓ C sunflower seeds w/ flax seeds
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- -Prepare a 8 X 8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper.
- -Put dates in a food processor for about 1 minute or until only small bits are left.
- -Toss in the oats,pumpkin seeds, raisins, sunflower seeds and flax in a large bowl.
- -On low heat cream together the honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan.
- -Pour the combined honey and peanut butter into the dry mixture. Stir well.
- -Add the processed dates, thoroughly mixing.
- -Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- -Using your hands press the mixture into the baking dish. Push the bar mixture to fill the corners and level it out throughout the dish.
- -Cover with cling wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 20-25 minutes.
- -Check to see the bars are hard.
- -Take out of the refrigerator and cut into bars.
R2D2 & Icing for Granola Bar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Black grey, white, blue, and red gel food coloring
- -Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- -If icing is not stiff enough add ¼ C powder sugar.
- - Spoon two tablespoon of icing into a bowl, add several drops of red gel food coloring. Mix well.
- -Divide the remaining icing into fourths. The first of the fourth of icing stays white in one bowl. The second of the fourth remaining icing add several drops of black gel food coloring in another bowl. Stir well.
- -The third of the fourth remaining icing add in several drops of grey gel food coloring in a last bowl. Stir well.
- -The fourth and last of the icing into another bowl, adding several drops of blue gel food coloring. Mix well.
- -Locate a picture of R2D2 on Google. Print the picture in color. Tape this picture with several small R2D2's of it on it to a cookie sheet.
- -Tape wax paper (covering the copies of the R2D2) to the cookie sheet . Follow the color and features as printed on the paper.
- -Using a small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining R2D2 first. Allow this to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- -Draw a black line ⅓ rd down of R2D2 to divide it in thirds. Fill in the bottom ⅔ rds with the white icing. Allow to dry for 30-60 seconds then add three blue lines across R2D2 directly under the grey top third of R2D2. Add two thicker white lines directly next to the three blue lines on R2D2's body ending almost two thirds down on the body. Directly under the three blue lines using the white icing make 2 heavy white dots on each side.
- -Under the middle of the three blue lines draw a cinder block shape with blue icing filling in the two center holes with white icing. Next draw a blue tall column, a blue egg shape and a blue circle. Outline the shapes first then fill them in with the blue icing. Leave a small space between
- each of them. Between the blue column add a grey dot and between the blue egg shape and circle add a white dot.
- -Fill in the top third of R2D2 with grey icing allowing it to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- - Make four small squares in the blue icing; three on the left side, one of the right side, and one on the of R2D2. Next add two blue rectangles in between the squares on the left and the right sides. Add a red dot on top of the blue rectangle next to the three blue squares. Next to the red dot add a grey dot. Add a blue rectangle above the first rectangle and add a small black dot on the rectangle on R2D2's forehead.
- -At the very bottom of R2D2 outline and fill in a thick black line. After 30-60 seconds of drying add seven grey squares on top of the black thick line.
- -Allow R2D2 to air dry for 5-10 hours.
- -Drizzle the white icing on the granola bar then place R2D2 on top of it.
Note: This is a contributor recipe, so I can't answer specific questions.