Once you hit your 40's not only do you change, but you notice your friend's interests and eating habits change as well. A decade or two ago, a party meant lots of alcohol and junk food, rounded out by loud music. Now, the majority of my friends don't drink, and junk food is out for most of them too, as they battle against slowing metabolisms. The music still has edge, but the choices are a bit more sophisticated.
When selecting party foods, my goal is for tasty dishes, which are not overburdened with empty calories. This is why I was pleased to incorporate Hood's new savory cottage cheese flavors into some of the dishes served in my last party spread. They boast a good deal of creamy flavor, and plenty of protein and calcium too. The appetizers and potato salad pictured above, feature these new savory cottage cheese flavors. The recipes for the two appetizers are shared below. I shared the Potato Salad in Cottage Cheese Dressing recipe earlier, and must say, it was an especially popular pairing with the barbeque chicken.
These Cottage Cheese Deli Roll-ups are super easy, popular with both children & adults, and can be made in several different variations. This one features turkey & baby spinach teamed with Hood Cucumber and Dill Cottage Cheese, but Italian ham & fresh basil leaves would make a nice pairing with the Garden Vegetable flavor I would think. Lavash bread is ideal for making pin wheel roll up appetizers, as several brands are made in neat rectangles, so there are nor waste edges. Many are low in calories as well.
Try serving some Salmon Mousse canapes along with the cottage cheese apps.
- Lavash bread
- Hood Cucumber and Dill Cottage Cheese
- shaved deli turkey
- baby spinach
- Spread cottage cheese out in a thin even layer on Lavash bread, taking care to keep it about ¾-1" away from one of the longer edges (but got close to the other 3 edges)
- Evenly distribute turkey over the cottage cheese, then top with a single layer of baby spinach.
- Roll snugly. The empty edge is the finishing flap. Push toothpicks in the flap and through the roll about an inch apart.
- Take a sharp knife and slice through the center between each set of picks, to create pinwheel rolls.
- Keep cool and covered with plastic wrap until serving.
I also made Creamy Seafood Salad appetizers using Hood's new Garden Vegetable Cottage Cheese (though the Cucumber and Dill would probably be good in this as well). I simply dolloped the seafood salad Melba toast rounds, with sliced of small tomatoes or a lemon twist. It would work just as well in mini-sandwiches or as a cracker/veggie dip.
Creamy Seafood Salad
- 1 cup cleaned crab meat claw meat is fine
- 1 cup Hood Garden Vegetable Cottage Cheese
- ½ cup salad shrimp
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place crab in bowl, break up & check for shell pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
In addition to the recipes I've shared here, the Hood website has more great easy recipe ideas, and of course they have the recipes easily available on the #NewHoodCC Pinterest board, as well. Follow the HP Hood Facebook page to keep up to date on new product offerings and promotions.