This Spanakopita Cottage Cheese Casserole is a low carb high protein recipe. The spinach cottage cheese casserole is great warm or cold, for breakfast, brunch or as an appetizer or lunch. Between the eggs and cottage cheese there is plenty of protein. The omelette style casserole is keto friendly too.
Spinach Cottage Cheese Casserole
Summer is now officially in full swing. Many of us are looking for lower carbohydrate meals that satisfy, yet are lighter… even meat free. This easy to make Spanakopita (spinach pie) Cottage Cheese Casserole is low-carb, grain-free, high in protein, calcium and iron, yet light and meat-free. A slice is surprisingly satisfying, yet won’t weigh you down.
Since a slice tallies in at only around 160 calories, it can also be served as a side dish or even used as a stuffing, rather than in a casserole.
When I was contemplating how to accomplish a low carb grain-free spanakopita, I decided the thick smooth consistency of Whipped Cottage Cheese would be a primary ingredient.
I discovered, not only did the whipped cottage cheese make for a great base to the casserole, but it nicely complimented and mellowed the pungency of the feta.
Is Cottage Cheese Keto?
Cottage Cheese is a smart cost effective way to add protein to our diets. Whipped cottage cheese has 15 grams of protein per serving and 5 net carbs (varies slightly by brand). This is low enough in carbs to use in a keto diet in moderation.
In this casserole, the cottage cheese is teamed with other healthy low carb choices, like egg whites and spinach. The result is a hearty nutritious meal with just 7 net grams of carbohydrates per serving.
Making Spanakopita Cottage Cheese Casserole (Low Carb)
This Keto-friendly Spinach Egg Casserole with Cottage Cheese is easy to make and doesn’t take long at all.
See printable recipe card below for exact measures. Can be adjusted by desired servings.
- olive oil
- diced sweet onion
- clove of garlic
- frozen spinach, thawed
- Whipped Cottage Cheese
- egg whites
- dry dill weed
- nutmeg (optional)
- Feta cheese
A quick saute of a few vegetables. Mix eggs and herbs into the cottage cheese, then combine with the vegetable saute and some feta cheese.
Spread into an oiled casserole dish and bake.
45-50 minutes later it is ready to be served warm, or served chilled later.
Can I make the Casserole with whole eggs?
Yes, absolutely. I suggest reducing the number of eggs to 5 if using the eggs with yolks.
I am personally sensitive to yolks, which is why few are used in my recipes.
Low Carb Recipes
Here are a few more low carb recipes you might enjoy.
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Rice Casserole
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Lemon Baked Cod
- Keto Tuscan Chicken Instant Pot
Low Carb Spanakopita Cottage Cheese Casserole
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 16 oz bag of frozen spinach thawed
- 1 16 oz. tub of Friendship Whipped Cottage Cheese
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp dill weed dry
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 4 oz. block Feta crumbled is o.k.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place oil in skillet over med-high heat. Once hot add the onions and garlic. Saute. While onions are cooking, squeeze the spinach to drain out most of the water. (best done right in the bag). Once the onions are translucent, add the spinach and saute another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from burner and set aside.
- Mix together the cottage cheese, egg whites, dill weed and nut meg in large bowl, until well blended.
- Add the spinach mixture, and stir until evenly distributed.
- Cut the feta into small cubes, and gently mix in. Pour into greased or oiled casserole dish (mine was about 6x9)
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.