This Spanakopita Cottage Cheese Casserole is a low carb high protein recipe. A versatile dish is great warm or cold, for breakfast, brunch or as an appetizer or lunch.
This post brought to you by Friendship Dairies. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Mom Foodie at blommi.com.
Summer is now officially in full swing. Many of us are looking for lower carbohydrate meals that satisfy, yet are lighter… even meat free. This easy to make Spanakopita (spinach pie) Cottage Cheese Casserole is low-carb, grain-free, high in protein, calcium and iron, yet light and meat-free. A slice is surprisingly satisfying, yet won’t weigh you down. Since a slice tallies in at only around 160 calories, it can also be served as a side dish or even used as a stuffing, rather than in a casserole.
When I was contemplating how to accomplish a grain-free spanakopita, while still maintaining a pleasing texture I remembered the nice thick smooth consistency of Friendship Whipped Cottage Cheese and it seemed a great choice. I was right, not only did the whipped cottage cheese make for a great base to the casserole, but it nicely complimented and mellowed the feta (which I find a bit overpowering in many dishes).
Friendship Cottage Cheese is a smart versatile way to add protein to our diets, and is readily available. As you can see above, their whipped cottage cheese has 15 grams of protein per serving, and the brand’s other products have similar amounts. While it is used here as a casserole ingredient, Friendship Cottage Cheese goes great in smoothies, breakfast bowls, dips and a host of other recipe uses. Stop by Friendship Dairies for more recipe ideas.
Making Spanakopita Cottage Cheese Casserole (Low Carb)
Spanakopita Cottage Cheese Casserole is easy to make and doesn’t take long at all. (Full recipe below)
A quick saute of a few vegetables. Mix eggs and herbs into the cottage cheese, then combine with the vegetable saute and some feta cheese.
Spread into an oiled casserole dish and bake.
45-50 minutes later it is ready to be served warm, or served chilled later.
This low carb spinach and cottage cheese casserole evokes spanakopita (spinach pie), but without the guilt.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 16 oz bag of frozen spinach thawed
- 1 16 oz. tub of Friendship Whipped Cottage Cheese
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp dill weed dry
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 4 oz. block Feta crumbled is o.k.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place oil in skillet over med-high heat. Once hot add the onions and garlic. Saute. While onions are cooking, squeeze the spinach to drain out most of the water. (best done right in the bag). Once the onions are translucent, add the spinach and saute another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from burner and set aside.
- Mix together the cottage cheese, egg whites, dill weed and nut meg in large bowl, until well blended.
- Add the spinach mixture, and stir until evenly distributed.
- Cut the feta into small cubes, and gently mix in. Pour into greased or oiled casserole dish (mine was about 6x9)
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
*nutritional data is estimated.