This recipe for quinoa with seeds started with simply adding sunflower seeds… then I must have started channeling a sparrow or something & went a little seed crazy…lol. Since quinoa is actually a seed as well, this could have been aptly named a bowl o’ seeds, but calling it “seedy” was the only thing that kept me from calling it bird seed for people, so it won…lol.
I liked the varying textures of the different seeds in this. Some roasted vegetables or grilled meats would team well with it, but I had it by itself and only chirped a few times. 😉
Remember to keep portion sizes moderate on this one. All these seeds are packed with a lot of nutrients… including calories. Recipe is gluten-free, and if you chose vegetable stock, vegan too.Print
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1/2 tbs oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- tsp sesame oil
- Put oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and saute for about 1 minute, then add the quinoa, sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds. Toast, stirring frequently, until quinoa is nicely toasted, seeds are showing a little color and onions are cooked.
- Add the stock and bay. Cover and reduce to med-low. Simmer about 20 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.
- Drizzle with sesame oil while still hot, but off burner, and stir in before serving.