These low carb chicken foil packets with cauliflower rice, tomatoes, capers and lemon are great on the grill or baked in the oven. A simple nutritious chicken dinner in minutes with easy clean up thanks to the aluminum foil. Just 6 net carbs per serving.
After being so very very good for the first few months of the year, sloth and snacking over the past few have cause me to "rediscover" a few pounds. Thus, I'm currently working on getting them back off and hopefully a few more along with them. This Tomato-Caper Chicken and Cauliflower "Rice" Packets recipe is low calorie, low carb and gluten-free.
I am not fond of a lot of clean-up, and this keto foil packet meal is a great recipe for the grill or oven with very little to clean up after. The chicken and cauliflower dish has a tangy flavorful brothy sauce which makes for a very satisfying keto meal. I have only just recently started ricing cauliflower*, to occasionally use in place of starch in meals & am surprised at how much I like it, well when teamed with a tasty sauce anyway. This stew-like chicken and vegetable recipe cooked in foil packets is going to be making several appearances at my dinner table this summer. That is for certain.
Try my stovetop cauliflower Spanish rice too. One of my favorite low carb recipes. My Cilantro Lime Grilled Salmon in Foil may also appeal to you, since it uses the same cooking method. If you are an Instant Pot fan, try my Salsa Chicken recipe, it's super easy.
*NOTE: Since this recipe was first published, frozen riced cauliflower has become widely available. It works perfectly fine in these foil packet dinners and I highly recommend using it to cut down on kitchen prep work.
Chicken Foil Packets with Cauliflower Rice
- 1 cup cauliflower riced
- 4 oz. sliced chicken breast substitute fish or shrimp if you prefer
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic about ½ a clove
- 1 tbs. caper berries
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh lemon thyme standard thyme or a few chopped fresh basil leaves would be a good stand-in
- 1 tbs. butter or spread
- 1 wedge of lemon
- Preheat grill (or oven - 400 degrees).
- Fold sides of foil to hold in juices.
- Spread cauliflower in bottom of foil packet and top with chicken.
- Mix the tomato & garlic together, then spread over the chicken.
- Top with capers, herbs and butter.
- Squeeze the wedge of lemon over the packet contents, then place on top.
- Wrap the packet up to seal in juices, but don't wrap tight to food, leave a little room for steam inside.
- Place on grill (and reduce heat to medium) or put on baking sheet and bake in oven. The packets will take about 20-25 minutes to fully cook.
- While dish could be eaten out of the packet, a shallow bowl is ideal.
it's gluten free!
I am always looking for new ways to prepare chicken so I think I will try this it looks wonderful.
Debra Hall says
I like the flavor. prepping the cauliflower was time consuming though
Erika JM says
I love how easy the foil packet was to clean up and the meal was delicious.
deb c says
I love the Chicken with these flavors. I skipped the cauliflower and ate it over real rice.
John Hutchens says
Came out great with cod
Went great with my chardonnay
We loved this. I added some green olives and topped with feta after baking to make it Greek. SO GOOD
Tracy Allen says
Delicious recipe and easy for keto.
Thomas Murphy says
This is so easy with the frozen caulirice... takes just a couple minutes to prep. Thanks