These low carb chicken foil packets with cauliflower rice, tomatoes, capers and lemon are great on the grill or baked in the oven. A simple nutritious chicken dinner in minutes with easy clean up thanks to the aluminum foil. Just 6 net carbs per serving.
After being so very very good for the first few months of the year, sloth and snacking over the past few have cause me to “rediscover” a few pounds. Thus, I’m currently working on getting them back off and hopefully a few more along with them. This Tomato-Caper Chicken and Cauliflower “Rice” Packets recipe is low calorie, low carb and gluten-free.
I am not fond of a lot of clean-up, and this keto foil packet meal is a great recipe for the grill or oven with very little to clean up after. The chicken and cauliflower dish has a tangy flavorful brothy sauce which makes for a very satisfying keto meal. I have only just recently started ricing cauliflower*, to occasionally use in place of starch in meals & am surprised at how much I like it, well when teamed with a tasty sauce anyway. This stew-like chicken and vegetable recipe cooked in foil packets is going to be making several appearances at my dinner table this summer. That is for certain.
*NOTE: Since this recipe was first published, frozen riced cauliflower has become widely available. It works perfectly fine in these foil packet dinners and I highly recommend using it to cut down on kitchen prep work.
Chicken Foil Packets with Cauliflower Rice
- 1 cup cauliflower riced
- 4 oz. sliced chicken breast substitute fish or shrimp if you prefer
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic about 1/2 a clove
- 1 tbs. caper berries
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh lemon thyme standard thyme or a few chopped fresh basil leaves would be a good stand-in
- 1 tbs. butter or spread
- 1 wedge of lemon
- Preheat grill (or oven - 400 degrees).
- Fold sides of foil to hold in juices.
- Spread cauliflower in bottom of foil packet and top with chicken.
- Mix the tomato & garlic together, then spread over the chicken.
- Top with capers, herbs and butter.
- Squeeze the wedge of lemon over the packet contents, then place on top.
- Wrap the packet up to seal in juices, but don't wrap tight to food, leave a little room for steam inside.
- Place on grill (and reduce heat to medium) or put on baking sheet and bake in oven. The packets will take about 20-25 minutes to fully cook.
- While dish could be eaten out of the packet, a shallow bowl is ideal.