In most of my quinoa recipes I use precooked quinoa, but in this one dry is used. It was still done in a reasonable amount of time. Keeping meal cooking time down is a lot of the reason I tend to use precooked. Perhaps I will start precooking this particular ingredient less often. I currently have my daughter on a gluten and casein free diet, so I haven’t been keeping milk in the house. I must say almond milk has proven to be a versatile replacement in my recipes. It effectively added the creamy texture and taste I wanted for this chicken quinoa recipe.
Creamy Chicken Quinoa with Bacon and Mushrooms
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2-3 slices bacon nitrate free
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 lb chicken breast organic
- 4-6 ounces shitake mushrooms crimini would work well also
- 1 cup quinoa golden, dry
- 2 cups chicken stock msg free
- 1 cup milk sub almond milk if dairy-free
- 1 large sprig fresh of tarragon or rosemary
- Place oil in pan over med-high heat.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces, and add the the hot pan, along with the garlic and dry thyme. Fry until bacon is crisp.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms. Stir.
- As soon as the outer portion of chicken is cooked, add the quinoa.
- Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. To toast quinoa.
- Add chicken stock, milk herb sprig.
- Cover and reduce heat to low-med.
- Cook for approximately 35 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.