In most of my quinoa recipes I use precooked quinoa, but in this one dry is used. It was still done in a reasonable amount of time. Keeping meal cooking time down is a lot of the reason I tend to use precooked. Perhaps I will start precooking this particular ingredient less often. I currently have my daughter on a gluten and casein free diet, so I haven't been keeping milk in the house. I must say almond milk has proven to be a versatile replacement in my recipes. It effectively added the creamy texture and taste I wanted for this chicken quinoa recipe.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like Chimichurri Portabella Mushroom Rice, Creamy Chicken Quinoa with Sweet Peppers and Mushrooms
Creamy Chicken Quinoa with Bacon and Mushrooms
- ½ tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2-3 slices bacon nitrate free
- ¼ teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ lb chicken breast organic
- 4-6 ounces shitake mushrooms crimini would work well also
- 1 cup quinoa golden, dry
- 2 cups chicken stock msg free
- 1 cup milk sub almond milk if dairy-free
- 1 large sprig fresh of tarragon or rosemary
- Place oil in pan over med-high heat.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces, and add the the hot pan, along with the garlic and dry thyme. Fry until bacon is crisp.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms. Stir.
- As soon as the outer portion of chicken is cooked, add the quinoa.
- Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. To toast quinoa.
- Add chicken stock, milk herb sprig.
- Cover and reduce heat to low-med.
- Cook for approximately 35 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.