This easy homemade Spicy Ketchup recipe will have spicy food lovers generously dunking their appetizers and fries in it. The dipping sauce takes just 5 minutes to prepare and has just three ingredients!
If you are looking for a more scratch made homemade ketchup with heat, try my Moroccan Ketchup. It starts with a tomato paste base.
How to Make Spicy Ketchup
Making this spicy sauce is quite easy, follow along here with pictures, or hop down to the printable recipe card.
The recipe makes 8 servings (2 tablespoons each).
Prep Time: 5 mins
Equipment: regular or immersion blender or food processor
Ingredients for Homemade Spicy Ketchup
Here are the ingredients you need to prepare this spicy chipotle ketchup.
- 1 cup regular ketchup
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (canned, found in Mexican food aisle)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- OPTIONAL: if you want extra hot ketchup add a generous slash of hot sauce or a pinch or two of cayenne pepper
Combine the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until the pepper is pureed into the ketchup and ketchup is smooth.
Pour the ketchup into a serving bowl and serve immediately or refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Variations on the Recipe
There are actually a number of other ways you can make hot and spicy ketchup at home from the regular bottled stuff. Here are a few options to consider:
- Add a ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika for a smoky ketchup.
- If you are into Asian cooking and have Sriracha or Chili sauce (Sambal Oelek) on hand a teaspoon of either will spice up your ketchup.
- For garlic lovers, a ¼-1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder or a crushed fresh garlic clove added to the ketchup mixture will be satisfying.
- Looking for sweet and spicy, add a little brown sugar to taste. Start with just a teaspoon or two.
Spicy ketchup is fabulous on a wide array of foods from regular fries and sweet potato fries, to chicken nuggets or corn dogs. There really is no limit.
Storing the Hot and Spicy Ketchup
Seal the ketchup in a glass jar or other airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Pour all ingredients into a blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds until all ingredients are combined and the ketchup is smooth.
- Pour the ketchup into a serving bowl and serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.