Sweet Potato Oatmeal Muffins are tender and nutritious. The recipe is easy to prepare and are perfect as a grab and go breakfast.
This morning I felt the need to bake some fall muffins, this Sweet Potato Oatmeal Muffins recipe was the result. They taste so much like sweet potato pie and using ground oatmeal makes tender muffins that don't readily dry out. The oats of course, also add soluble fiber to the muffins as well.
The sweet potato muffins can be made with fresh grated or cooked leftover sweet potatoes.
Sweet potato muffins are super moist, even after a day or two. Eat these healthy muffins as is or slice and smear on a pat of butter, nut butter or sunflower seed butter. Drizzle with a little maple syrup if you like.
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Muffins
- muffin tin
- cupcake liners
- 1 cup Old fashioned oatmeal or ¾ cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oil avocado or melted refined coconut oil are my preference
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup evaporated milk I used fat free (swap half and half or coconut milk for dairy-free if you prefer)
- 1 cup grated raw sweet potato or cooked mashed sweet potato
- 2 tbs. oatmeal
- 2 tbs pecans chopped
- 2 tbs light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put oatmeal in food processor and pulse until a flour-like consistency.
- Add regular and whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger & cinnamon to the ground oat flour. Pulse to mix.
- In another bowl, beat egg. Then add vanilla, oil, brown sugar and evaporated milk, whisk to blend.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add the sweet potato and stir in, until evenly distributed.
- Spoon batter into baking liners or directly into greased muffin tin. Fill nearly full.
- In a small bowl mix the topping ingredients. Sprinkle generously on the muffins, you should have the right amount for about a dozen standard size muffins.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes.