Delicious and healthy apple oatmeal muffins recipe that the family is sure to love. Great grab & go breakfast, also perfect with your weekend coffee on the porch.
A neglected Granny Smith apple on the counter, led to the making of this Apple Oatmeal Muffins Recipe. As I diced it up I thought about the yumminess of apples with brown sugar and butter, and decided the classic flavors would be just the thing for some oatmeal muffins (we all know I’m a big fan of oatmeal in baking).
Always have muffin liners with these eco-friendly reusable baking cups…
The resulting recipe yielded 11 medium sized apple oatmeal muffins, and would probably make about 6 jumbos. Despite using just 1 Granny Smith apple, due to the small batter batch there are plenty of diced apple pieces in each muffin. I prefer the smaller batch size, since I don’t really need a lot of muffins hanging around.Print
Apple Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
This Apple Oatmeal Muffin recipe, makes a small batch of whole grain muffins. The recipe features diced apples and brown sugar.
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Total Time: 34 minutes
- Yield: 11-12
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup peeled and diced Granny Smith apple (roughly 1 large apple)
- 2 tbs soft butter
- 2 tbs light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, salt and sugar.
- Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the oats and apples, mix until evenly distributed. Allow to rest a couple minutes, then spoon into muffin cups. Fill almost full.
- Place in oven to bake for ten minutes. In the meantime, mix together topping ingredients.
- After the ten minutes, spoon topping onto muffins.
- Bake for 12 more minutes, then remove to cool & serve.
More Yummy Oatmeal Muffins!