Treat yourself to these healthy blueberry muffins. They are made with whole, organic ingredients and will give you energy that will last all day!
Healthy Blueberry Muffins from Scratch
While there could, of course, be some debate on what constitutes a healthy blueberry muffin recipe, this is the version I came up with for my daughter. I wanted a muffin for her that could stand-in for the coffee shop blueberry muffins she loves, yet be organic with just enough sugar to satisfy her. They also needed to be tender and light in color, like the ones from the coffee shop.
How To Make Healthier Muffins The Kids Will Love
All of these ingredients are important to keep them healthier and better for your kids. Here's what I used and why I used them.
- Utilizing organic ingredients in these healthier muffins was a top priority. Chemicals and pesticides do not make muffins taste better and can be harmful to our kids.
- I went with organic all-purpose flour, then added some wheat germ to boost fiber without the toughness and darker color that can come with whole wheat flour.
- I used a combination of pure cane sugar and honey to sweeten the muffins (if calories are of significant concern, I would recommend swapping a measures-like-sugar stevia blend).
- Buttermilk is used in the muffin recipe for tenderness and for the very slight tanginess it provides.
- I also opted for frozen blueberries, since they are easier to keep on hand and organic ones are available at a reasonable price year-round. They also seem to avoid the mushy spots in muffins that fresh can sometimes cause.
My daughter and I both enjoyed these healthy blueberry muffins. They make a great afternoon snack for my daughter, and I love having one with my morning coffee.
Healthy Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour organic
- ½ cup wheat bran
- 1 tbs baking powder aluminum-free
- ½ tsp Kosher salt or sea salt
- ⅓ cup pure cane sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter organic
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 large egg organic
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk organic
- ¾ cup organic blueberries I used frozen
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients).
- Gently melt the spread/butter, then add the vanilla and honey to it. Mix well, then whisk in the egg.
- Mix the butter-honey mixture into the dry ingredients along with the buttermilk.
- Once smoothly mixed, fold in the blueberries until evenly distributed.
- Place paper liners in a muffin/cupcake pan, then spoon the batter in about 80% full.
- Bake for 21-23 minutes. Done when top center slightly springs back to touch.
More Muffin Recipes
I love serving muffins for breakfast on busy mornings before school. They also make really delicious and filling snacks too. Here are some more of our favorite homemade muffin recipes.