Why I am so fascinated with recipes that fit both of these restrictive diets is beyond me. Perhaps, it is the challenge of combining vegan and paleo. In this case, the dual dietary compliance was more happenstance than plan.
Maple Walnut Ice Cream is a staple flavor here in Rhode Island. It seemed a natural choice to convert into a paleo recipe since maple syrup is one of the few sweeteners many Paleo followers will indulge in & nuts are acceptable. Swapping the heavy cream for coconut milk resulted in the recipe also being vegan.
This does melt a little faster than typical ice cream, and is really more like an ice milk.
Vegan Maple Walnut Ice Cream
paleo-vegan maple walnut ice creamPrint Pin Rate
- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tbs pure maple syrup (add an extra tbs if you prefer sweeter)
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Whisk the coconut milk, vanilla and maple syrup together.
- Follow manufacturers directions to churn the mixture. It will likely take a few minutes longer to churn than typical ice cream.
- When the mixture is thick, but still needs around another 5 minutes of churning, add the walnuts.
Now this would be one my husband would love. Thanks for sharing.
What does it mean to follow the manufacturer's instructions? Where would I see these instructions?
Robin Gagnon says
This is an ice cream machine recipe. Units may vary.