This Golden milk recipe makes a creamy rich and nutty beverage. It is a traditional ayurvedic drink with a host of health benefits. As the name implies, the beverage has a lovely golden hue. The color comes from the ground turmeric root in it.
The delicious and beneficial turmeric infused drink is made with coconut milk, and non-dairy or real milk. The milks are steeped in spices including cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and even a little black pepper! It is also lightly sweetened with honey or maple syrup.
Benefits of Golden Milk
While some simply love golden milk as a beverage. Most people drink golden milk for its many potential health benefits. It has become a popular alternative remedy for many health issues.
This traditional golden milk used in ayurvedic medicine, is a spiced turmeric tea latte. Curcumin the active compound in the turmeric root used to make the tea, has natural anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant properties.
These properties can aid in the treatment of a host of chronic conditions related to oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. When you reduce inflammation, the body just plain works better and helps the immune system fight infections.
Here is information on a few of the health conditions it may help with. These are by no means meant to substitute medical advice.
- Diabetes - Cucumin has been shown to help pre-diabetics avoid or delay developing type 2 diabetes. Research suggests it can aid in maintaining better blood sugar levels, insulin resistance [ref, ref]
- Cancer - There are a number of studies that point to cucumin as a way to help modulate the growth of cancer. [ref, ref]
- Heart disease - Research also suggests the compounds in turmeric have cardiovascular protective properties. [ref]
- Joint Pain - I have personally found this anti-inflammatory food helpful in reducing joint pain. My friend even doses his dogs with turmeric and they are all quite spry for their age.
Note: These studies don't necessarily dose the compound by participants drinking turmeric milk. In my non-medical opinion, it does make sense that ingesting it with synergistic spice compounds would be a good way for lay people to proactively avoid health issues or augment treatments (If agreeable to their medical provider).
How to Make Golden Milk
Preparing your own ayurvedic golden milk with turmeric is easy. To make the recipe, follow along here or jump down to the printable recipe card.
The recipe makes 1 serving.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for Turmeric Golden Milk
Here is all you need to make this golden turmeric milk. While these are meant to work synergistically, adjust to your taste preference and ingredients you have available. I've also included adjustments for dry vs fresh spices, as well as a few other options.
- 1⁄2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk or creamy unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1 tablespoon of fresh grated turmeric
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 whole stick of Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of whole Cloves
- 5 green cardamom seeds (approximately 1⁄2 teaspoon green cardamom seeds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole peppercorn or pinch of ground black pepper
- approximately one 1” wedge of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced (1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger root or 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger)
- Optional : add ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: ground cinnamon for garnish
Add all ingredients into a small saucepan. Whisk until combined, over medium-high heat.
Whisk occasionally, until the mixture is hot. This will take about 5 minutes.
Remove the pan of the hot milk mixture from heat, and strain the liquid over sieve or cheesecloth to remove spice pieces.
Pour into a glass or cup.
Top the turmeric milk drink with ground cinnamon to serve.
Other Ways to Add Turmeric
While golden turmeric milk is an ideal way to ingest this beneficial spice, it is far from the only way. I enjoy it on chicken and seafood. Try my Turmeric Greek Yogurt Marinade on grilled chicken thighs, Grilled Curry Shrimp, Pan Seared Sea Bass with Curry, or Cast Iron Chicken Thighs with Turmeric.
Golden Milk Recipe
- ¼ cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, oat milk or cashew milk or traditional whole milk if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1 tablespoon of grated fresh turmeric
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 whole stick Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon whole Cloves
- 5 green cardamom seeds approximately 1⁄2 teaspoon green cardamom seeds
- ½ teaspoon peppercorn or pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 inch wedge of fresh ginger peeled and sliced (or 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger root or 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract *Optional
- grated cinnamon for garnish *Optional
- Add all of the ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk until well combined, then whisk occasionally until hot. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and strain the mixture over a sieve or cheesecloth to retrieve the spices.
- To serve: Pour into a glass or cup and garnish with grated cinnamon.