Baked Chicken Pesto is a great easy dinner recipe that is flavor packed and versatile.
This quick & easy baked chicken pesto recipe is a great way to use up an end of season abundance of basil. For cost savings, almonds rather than pignoli nuts are used to make the pesto. Italian dressing provides oil, seasonings and a touch of tenderizing tang from the vinegar. Lil’ Foodie and I CHOWED this chicken. I really like the way the pesto mixture works like a really moist and flavorful topping, and a bit of delectable gravy-ish stuff puddles at the bottom of the casserole. I’d planned to ladle marinara over the pasta I served with this, but chose instead to just plop the chicken on top of it, since it was so flavor packed.
I case you didn’t guess already. I will be making this again, and soon.
While it looks like there is breadcrumb in this, there is none, so this chicken pesto recipe is fine for our gluten-intolerant friends, just check your Italian dressing bottle to make sure none is slipped in there (it shows up in the weirdest places).Print
Baked Chicken Pesto Recipe
This flavorful Baked Pesto Chicken is an easy recipe to prepare and quite versatile.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 lb. chicken breast or tenders
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup sliver almonds
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put Italian dressing in small food processor, add 1/2 the basil, pulse a few times, then add the remaining basil. Pulse several more times.
- Add the almonds and pulse until well chopped, then add the cheese & pulse until the pesto is mostly smooth, a few chunks is fine.
- Place chicken in medium size mixing bowl, add all the pesto and mix well.
- Dump the chicken out into a large baking dish (preferably around 8×11), making sure to include all the dressing, spread whatever sticks in the bowl over the top.
- Pop it in the oven & bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve over pasta or rice or as a standard entree.
Leftover Pesto Chicken is delicious in a sandwich like this one. Pesto Chicken, Roasted Pepper & Swiss