Cheesy Baked Asparagus is a favorite easy recipe of mine … and I can have it on keto. It features fresh asparagus baked with a mozzarella cheese blend on top. Mmmm… so good!
Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Not only is this Cheesy Baked Asparagus delicious and satisfying, it is an easy low carb recipe as well. It is perfect for those on a Ketogenic diet plan.
In this case I baked the asparagus at 350 degrees, so the spears would cook a little slower and the cheese would crisp at edges but stay gooey in middle without burning.
It takes about 20 minutes for asparagus to bake at 350 degrees, a little longer than roasting or my standard Baked Asparagus recipe which is cooked at 375 degrees.
How to Make Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Here is a quick visual walk through of how to bake cheesy asparagus. Full printable recipe is below.
Snap off the woody ends of the spears.
Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus and season.
Toss to coat and arrange the spears in a row. Then bake about 10 minutes.
Top with mozzarella or Italian blend cheese.
Return to oven.
When it looks like this take the cheesy asparagus spears out of the oven.
Top with herbs and Parmesan cheese.
Serve your cheesy asparagus and enjoy!
How Many Carbs in Cheesy Baked Asparagus?
Yes, cheesy baked asparagus is keto friendly! It has just 4 carbs per serving, but just 2 net grams of carbohydrates and 8 grams of fat.
So Ketogenic and low carb dieters can enjoy this cheesy oven baked asparagus. I am following an Alkaline version of the Keto diet and even I can use this recipe as a way to enjoy cheese without creating too much acid from the cheese, since asparagus is an alkaline vegetable.
While this recipe is meant as a side dish and would go with a wide range of entrees, it would also make a nice low carb vegetarian meal. I would just double the serving size and maybe add a salad with Greek vinaigrette or another veggie on the side.
Got More Asparagus?
Try these low carb asparagus recipes.
- Sauteed Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Swiss Cheese
- Grilled Asparagus with Balsamic Marinate
- Balsamic Roasted Asparagus and Tomato with Blue Cheese
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt free seasoning or Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Italian Cheese , I used pizza blend
- Grated Parmesan and fresh herbs , to garnish ***optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Snap ends off of asparagus spears.
- Place the spears on a baking sheet and drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and season.
- Toss the asparagus to coat, then arrange in a row on baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until bright green and slightly wilted.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven and bake 10-12 minutes. Cheese should be melted, crisps on ends and bubbled up in middle. Take out.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and fresh herbs on top to serve.