Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts are delicious and low carb. The recipe is also easy to prepare and quick enough for weeknights.
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
This is a great recipe to go to if you have asparagus spears on hand that are starting to wilt. Of course, fresh crisp asparagus works great in these stuffed chicken breasts too, but it is forgiving of wilty ones. While you can swap cheddar or mozzarella cheese if you prefer, I like Swiss inside my chicken stuffed with asparagus.
The cheese and asparagus stuffed chicken is baked in an oven safe skillet such as cast iron or a baking dish. I prefer making it in a skillet than reusing to flavorful oil in the pan to saute vegetables later in the day.
The chicken makes a great keto meal teamed with a vegetable side dish. Just scoop some rice or potatoes on the plates of those who are not a low carb diet.
How to Cook Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
Some readers have an easier time following along with a recipe visually. I think we all find it reassuring to have a visual cue to know we are proceeding in the right direction, so I am trying to add more preparation pictures. Here is how to make this gluten free low carb entree. Full printable recipe card below.
After preheating the oven to 375 degrees, I butterfly the chicken breasts and snap the woody ends off the stalks of asparagus.
Place 3-5 spears of asparagus in each chicken breast. Number will depend on thickness of each spear. Mine were average size and four fit perfectly. Top with cheese and fold the top of the chicken over to envelope the cheese and asparagus.
Place the stuffed chicken in a skillet or dish drizzled with olive oil. Season with sea salt and pepper.
Top with fresh sprigs of thyme. If you don’t have the herb readily available, top with some rosemary or simply sprinkle on some Italian seasoning.
Finally I add some chopped garlic. I keep the pieces large and just push them aside when eating. This infuses some flavor without a strong garlic flavor. If you are a garlic lover mince it up and spread it on. You can up it to two cloves if you really love the stuff.
How Long to Bake Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts?
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Spoon some of the oil in bottom of pan over the chicken and asparagus after 15 minutes to help keep it from drying out and as a flavor boost.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts ( four 4 oz breasts)
- 16 asparagus spears (average size, number will vary based on size)
- 3 oz Swiss cheese , shredded*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic , chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the chicken breasts butterfly style and snap off the woody part of the asparagus spears.
- Insert 4 spears into each piece of chicken, top with 1/4 of the cheese and fold the chicken over it.
- Pour olive oil in an oven safe skillet or baking dish. Place the chicken in pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with thyme and chopped garlic, then bake for 25- 30 minutes. Baste at the 15 minute point. Asparagus will be tender crisp when the chicken is cooked through.