Creamy Chicken and Poblano Corn Chowder is a healthy filling soup recipe. This low fat chowder is packed with protein and has enough carbs and dairy to satisfy. The Southwest flavor of the poblanos keeps it interesting, while keeping the heat subtle. Yogurt adds creaminess without a lot of fat, as well as a tangy element to the soup.Print
Creamy Chicken and Poblano Corn Chowder
Creamy Chicken & Poblano Corn Chowder recipe, which is healthy and filling.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8-12
- 2 large chicken breasts (bone-in, skin-on)
- Kosher salt
- dried thyme
- 1 tsp oil
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 potatoes (finely diced)
- 2 cups of corn
- 2 roasted Poblano peppers
- 1 1/2 cups goats’ milk yogurt (regular yogurt is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the breasts with thyme and Kosher salt (a generous pinch of each per breast).
- Put the oil in dutch oven or other large pot which has a tight fitting lid, over med-high heat.
- Sear the chicken breasts skin side down. Once they are nicely browned, flip and sear other side.
- Toss in bay leaves and garlic, and pour in stock.
- Once stock comes to boil, cover and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 40 minutes. Shut off and allow to cool down a bit.
- Take the breasts out of the stock and set aside to cool further for cutting.
- Skim the fat off top of stock, then drop in the potatoes and corn to simmer.
- Dice the chicken, and slice the poblanos into strips about two inches long.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through add the chicken and peppers and simmer another 10 minutes, then add yogurt, stir and simmer another 10 minutes
- Season to taste and serve.