Spice rubbed roasted chicken breast and potatoes is a delicious meal without a lot of fuss. The bone-in chicken breasts take longer to cook than boneless, but the bones and skin help retain the moisture in the breasts. This chicken cut is also cheaper than boneless.
While I frequently espouse the virtues of cooking from scratch, I do realize many people do not have a ton of time to put into prepping dinner, and need easy dinner recipes. This bone in chicken breast recipe is perfect for that.
Roasted Chicken Breasts and Potatoes
While this roast chicken breasts and potatoes recipe does take a bit of time in the oven, the prep work is easy. It basically amounts to cutting potatoes, whisking together a few marinate ingredients and coating the chicken and potatoes with it.
Zap a steamer bag of veggies or saute veggies to serve along with it, and dinner will be on the table in an hour, with some time in between to get a few other things done... or even relax 😉
Prefer to use the slow cooker? Try my Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Potatoes and Carrots. It is not spiced like this, but you can add the seasonings.
Chicken breasts and potatoes, coated & ready to cover with foil for baking.
This is a half portion of the recipe below, since it was just my daughter and I. use a large lasagna pan, roasting pan or even a sheet pan to prepare the full recipe.
Simply adjust the number of servings in the recipe card to suit your needs.
Now, try this recipe for baked chicken breast bone in with potatoes. It is a simple budget friendly family meal.
Roast Chicken Breasts and Potatoes Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts bone-in, skin on
- 6-8 potatoes Yukon Gold or red-skinned are best
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic crushed minced
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. rice wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dice the potatoes and put in large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the salt, spices, garlic, oil and vinegar.
- Pour most of mixture over the potatoes, and mix to coat them.
- Scoop out the potatoes and place in large baking dish or roast pan.
- Add the rest of the spice sauce to mixing bowl, then put in chicken breasts, and coat them well.
- Put the breasts on top of the potatoes bone side down. Cover dish snugly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 8-10 minutes to brown chicken. Reserve the foil.
- Remove the chicken so it doesn't dry out. Put on the foil and wrap loosely (It will be warm and perfectly rested when the potatoes are done).
- Stir the potatoes, then put them back in the oven, raise temp to 450, and bake for 8-10 more minutes.
- Serve with vegetable of choice.