These Frankenstein cupcakes are an easy Halloween dessert that kids will especially love. The chocolate cupcakes are scratch baked, but feel free to use box cake mix if you prefer. The cute Frankenstein Marshmallows decorations are the star of the show after all, when it comes to Halloween treats.
Frankenstein Marshmallow Cupcakes are a great dessert to serve at a mad scientist themed Halloween party. They are also ideal to enjoy while watching one of the classic Frankenstein movies. They are cute enough not to scare younger children too. My Frankenstein Twinkies would also make a fun dessert option.
Making the Cupcakes
The Halloween cupcake recipe is pretty straight forward.
These are the ingredients you will need to make the Frankenstein’s monster themed cupcakes.
Wet and dry ingredients are mixing separately, then combined.
Once baked and cooled they will be topped with the marshmallows dunked in melted green chocolate wafers and candy eyes are applied. Black icing is used to make the monster’s mouth and hair. . Broken pretzel sticks create the neck bolts.
More Fun Halloween Desserts
[amazon_link asins=’B0061TXSU8,B01I3EQWX8,B00IE6ZB1U,B00OY13UYY’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’momf04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3c0c37d0-1ec8-4c45-927b-b38f570723d3′]
These easy Frankenstein cupcakes are a cute Halloween dessert that kids will love. The chocolate cupcakes are scratch baked, but feel free to use box cake mix if you prefer.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup high quality cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 6 tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup hot coffee
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and insert 12 liners in a cupcake pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, sugar and eggs. Add sour cream and fold.
- In thirds, add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Add hot coffee to the batter and mix.
- Fill up each section of the muffin pan, about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for about 15 to 17 minutes. Allow to cool before decorating.
- Add butter, icing sugar and milk into a large bowl.Using an electric mixer, beat all ingredients on low speed and gradually increase to high.
- Once all ingredients are well-combined and form semi-stiff peaks, the buttercream is ready.Scoop buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton #10 attached.
- Generously frost the center of each cupcake.
- Line a pan with wax paper and set aside.
- Insert a toothpick in the center of each marshmallow, making sure it doesn’t come through the other side.
- Place candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals until candy is completely melted.
- Dip each marshmallow into green candy and place gently on lined pan.
- Place 2 eyes on each marshmallow.
- Snap off a small piece of the pretzel stick and place one on either side of the coated marshmallow.
- Allow the marshmallows to fully set in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using Wilton tip #7, use black frosting to give Frankenstein his stitched mouth.
- Place Frankenstein marshmallow heads on the cupcakes - one for each.Using Wilton tip #233, use black frosting to give Frankenstein his hair.
- Serve and enjoy!