Tuna, Tomato and Basil Grilled Potato Planks is an easy gluten free appetizer recipe, which would work well as a light lunch or snack as well. It is also dairy free, so the recipe fits with a GFCF (gluten free, casein free) eating plan.
Making Tuna Tomato Grilled Potato Appetizers
I make potatoes like this on the grill a lot in the summer. The potatoes themselves make an excellent side dish for most any summer meal. The use of these grilled potato planks as the base of a gluten free appetizer was simply a natural occurrence. I have taken to using the leftover grilled potatoes as snack with toppings, and chicken and tuna salads have become some of my favorite toppers.
Making these appetizers with hot freshly grilled potato planks is even better. The cold tuna salad makes a refreshing contrast against the still warm potatoes and the fresh tomato and basil bring it up a notch in summer flavor.
Make it a Meal
About 5-6 of these little potato appetizers roughly equate to a tuna salad sandwich, and there is no need to have chips or fries on the side, you are sort of already eating them.
Grilled Potato Planks Topped with Tuna, Tomato and Basil | Easy Appetizer Recipe
- 4-5 potatoes
- ½ tbs olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon salt free seasoning mix
- 1 can tuna packed in water
- mayonnaise to taste, as you typically make your tuna salad
- 1 fresh ripe tomato
- fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the grill.
- Slice the potatoes into ¼" thick slabs.
- Mix the oil, salt and seasoning mix. Toss the potatoes in the seasoned oil.
- Place the slabs on grill and reduce heat to low-med.
- Flip after a few minutes,and grill until cooked through.
- Place slabs on platter.
- Mix the tuna and mayonnaise to taste.
- Once the potatoes have cooled a t bit (they can still be a little hot), scoop a small spoonful on each slab.
- Top each with a piece of sliced tomato and some basil leaf.
Republished from 2012.